jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

At the end of Titanic...

1. 0
    Lybrahposted 4 years ago

So I always, always wonder what happened to Rose's mother at the end of Titanic.  Why didn't they tell us?  And I think it is stupid that the old Rosé threw the necklace in the water at the end.  Why did she do that?  Why didn't she just give it to Bill Paxton?  I get why she held onto it--any sale of it would have made headlines and attracted the attention of Cal.  But why throw it in the ocean?

1. lou2212 profile image74
      lou2212posted 4 years ago in reply to this

because the diamond was called the heart of the ocean and the area where titanic was the middle of that area of ocean so rose throws the necklace into the Heart of the ocean symboling the diamond, titanic and her love for jack.

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

Love makes one do crazy things, don't you know? wink especially true love. It would've been extremely difficult, for me tongue  to fulfill that last promise, 'live your life' without him. Lou2212 has it right. The emotion of love trumped all gains of $$, for self or others along with the 'feeding frenzy' that would cause- returning it to the ocean may also have ensured her return, upon death, to Jack. smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago

I never could stand that movie.  It just annoyed me.

The silly cow was safely in  lifeboat - by jumping out, she didn't make space for anyone else, because the boat was already too far away.   So all she did was cause her lover's death, because instead of being free to concentrate on saving himself, he had to worry about her as well.   

If he'd been on his own, he would've been able to get on top of that piece of wood himself, instead of freezing in the water so she could have it.

1. 0
      Lybrahposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually, I saw this thing on television where they conducted an experiment to see if Rose and Jack really could have fit on the board together.  They re-enacted the scene with two guys, and found that in real life, both of them would have been able to stay afloat.  They then argued with James Cameron, who insisted that Jack had to die.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think Cameron get to say what happens in his fictional world.  Maybe his version of the board was more waterlogged and less buoyant.