They should call this FailPages....

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (43 posts)
  1. mrizos profile image63
    mrizosposted 11 years ago

What's going one with HubPages!?!  69.2% less traffic than last week?!   All of my hubs are on pages 10+ in Google. 

Here's one of them.  An 87.  Was on the first page of google for "why does my computer run slow", not it's gone.

What has HubPages done for piss off Google now?

1. profile image0
      Domenick Dicceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Has Hubpages had problems with Google in the past?

2. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am hurting very badly too. HubPages was affected by Google Algorithms and has affected many people's rankings, traffic, and I am going to go out on a limb here and say CPM as well.

When I first starting consistently writing on HubPages I worked pretty hard for over year until I was able to make part-time income etc...But these Google Algorithms decreased my traffic and HubPages has suffered as  a whole overall.....

At this point, I'm not sure if my work will pay off in the same fashion as it once did. I have deleted/unpublished many hubs. It's hard enough to create content to create traffic -- let alone lose traffic due to Google's algorithms etc.. hmm

1. ytbot1x profile image61
        ytbot1xposted 11 years agoin reply to this
        1. David 470 profile image82

Yes I am aware.

3. snoblet profile image83
      snobletposted 11 years agoin reply to this

google is god, we don't even say search anymore, people say google instead of search, google has entirely replaced the word search..

4. dontaytte profile image75
      dontaytteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that we all have lost allot of traffic over the last month and a half, but instead of complaining about it we must find solutions. I don't think that moving hubs to other sites is a solution. We need to continue to promote hubs, both ours and referrals, post comments on good hubs, and continue to put out great hubs.

5. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

mrizos,

You're complaining about a drop in traffic for a title that produces 45 million hits in Google? An article that's 3 months old. That topic is over-saturated, so it's a wonder it made it to the top in the first place. Way too much competition. And if you are putting all your fate into HP's hands and not taking some responsibility for getting your hubs connected elsewhere then you can't just blame HP.

2. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image75
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 11 years ago

Glad you noticed it. Read forums on HP devoted to that. People discuss it since the 27th of September.

3. Tosch profile image61
    Toschposted 11 years ago

It's FadingPages...

4. smith06 profile image56
    smith06posted 11 years ago

I have 39 Hubs. Before the Google algo change, my daily average traffic was about 250. Since then, it has been steadily decreasing. As per Google Analytics, my traffic on 11th. October is only 29, whereas, it was 120 on the previous day. I am seriously thinking about moving my articles to Squidoo and Infobarrel.

1. Sapper profile image63
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It really doesn't matter where you move them too, they'll still drop when google does an update. I have my hubpages and 6 webpages, all of them dropped when they did their update, and all of them are slowly climbing back up. If you want someone to blame, blame the people who use SEO tricks to get crappy content ranked higher than it should be. Google changes their algorithms, and good quality content goes back up, and the garbage doesn't.

1. Gina Coole profile image62
        Gina Cooleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer! Its no good blaming HubPages.  The answer is to adapt your content to the new realities.  There are 2 factors that impact success:
        1. Your content quality
        2. The Google algorithm

There is no strong evidence to suggest that HubPages performs any worse than the other major content sites.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish this were true, but take a look at the Quantcast stats for the main content sites including Hubpages and you will see differently. Right now (although I now like Wizzley in preference to writing here because my moved content is getting traffic it wasn't getting any longer here,) the best and most consistently performing content site is apparently Squidoo, (although I have never used it myself, I do know lots of people who have, and it seems for at least 5 years it has been pretty stable, even when other sites have suffered from Panda, Penguin etc). On Quantcast (which is reliable) HP is looking as if it is in free fall. I am only still here because I do still earn enough to make it worth leaving a certain amount of my content here and I like a lot of members of the community, but I haven't written here in ages because I have only seen my traffic and my earnings drop (solely here) every time Google do another update, or HP make another change to the site. My efforts will now be going elsewhere, (which is a shame after four years of being an active member of the site).

This Quantcast graph show HP's global traffic for just Jan to Oct this year.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7262328_f248.jpg

This is the same period of time for Squidoo

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7262336_f248.jpg

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
            Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no arguing with the stats Misty - A real eye opener! sad

Depressing I know, but perhaps the wake up call I needed to see that it really seems nothing HP do changes their status in Google's eyes, whereas Squidoo is obviously favoured by Google long term. Time to work elsewhere I feel.

5. charliegrumples profile image39
    charliegrumplesposted 11 years ago

"good quality content goes back up"

I really don't see how a machine can decide that. It can decide if it is grammatically correct etc and makes sense but it can't make a decision as to the quality of the content surely. As far as I can see it's now largely about 'authority' which essentially means that businesses are getting to the top and everything else is sinking.

Not trying to be mean, but you understanding it really has nothing to do with how it works. There is a reason they get more search results than any other engine, and make billions of dollars a year, it works regardless if people thinks it should. Nobody can really tell you how it works, because they don't release exacts of their algorithms.

6. charliegrumples profile image39
    charliegrumplesposted 11 years ago

yes but what it means is that for example, if a BBC reporter say writes an article about what is happening somewhere in Yemen, they will come much further up google than someone in Yemen who is close to what is happening who blogs because they are an unknown yet have much better information as they are directly there. Google is essentially becoming a business directory .. sadly there seems to be little or no competition.

Authority sites always have and always will rank high, on any search engine. That has nothing at all to do with google updates and why peoples hubs and websites drop.
      http://marketingland.com/the-return-of- … ance-22206
      That explains a little better than I am exactly what's happening.

2. profile image57
      Southernmapartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Outside of problems with priority for Hub Pages, your example is exactly the issue.  When I search and put in my searchable words,  I want the search results to show relevance and not relevance prioritized by commercial value. 

As an example of the search problems with Google's new algo, I frequently do a search on an individual's name, which is frequently published in articles in a local paper, to check and read new public information about this persons' activities.  The name is not common, but  not unusual.  After the Google changes to search, a person with the same name now shows up first and covers most of page one with Twitter announcements of of shopping trips and luncheon engagements.  The "new" person with the same name now ranks higher in Google with tweeted luncheon engagements than the person who is well-documented in current public matters.

7. Tosch profile image61
    Toschposted 11 years ago

My main account has suffered tons of traffic recently. I was making like $600 per month, and now, it's something like $50 per month. My hubs are taking longer to appear on Google, and they rank way behind Wizzley articles or Squidoo articles. What's happening? This site is actually now something like Disappearing Pages .

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm just curious:  I went to your profile, Tosch, and I see 0 Hubs.  I don't understand your comment here.

1. Tosch profile image61
        Toschposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read a little carefully. It's all there.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Carefully where?  I don't get it either. Why not use you main account on the forums rather than one with zero hubs?

1. Tosch profile image61
            Toschposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not safe these days. Any slight leakage might make some people offended. I have watched the progression. They have pulled the graphs out of the 'success stories' page. The mood is hot around here. I can't afford a ban.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
              Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It now says this hubber is banned.

1. David 470 profile image82

What the heck?

8. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

I know it is a tough time. My traffic and income is down to 20% levels. But rather than complaining, I think we should stand by the site that supported us and not give up hope.

9. bdegiulio profile image96
    bdegiulioposted 11 years ago

My traffic and earnings have also suffered greatly.  I have 83 hubs and my daily traffic struggles to reach 30 views.  Hubs that were once on Google page one are now down to page 5+.  All I can do is continue to try and publish quality content.  I have also started going back and updating older Hubs with some fresh content, photos, etc.  Only time will tell if this will work.

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I have added Jan to Oct global graphs from Quantcast for both HP and Squidoo in my previous comment if anyone missed them before. They illustrate how much better Squidoo is doing compared to HP.

11. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I read a article, don't ask which one, I read so many lol but the big 'G' is looking at 'above the fold' and focusing on 'content' smile not sure what 'above the fold' means but something about # of ads vs content wink so, we may just get a break. smile

As I understand it 'above the fold' refers to the area you see on your screen before you begin scrolling down on any page you arrive on (if that helps).

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Ahh, alright smile thanks Misty. I am hoping we (HP) pass muster and not considered overly ad heavy with ads, amazon, ebay, etc hmm

13. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

My bottom line is this: why should I bother to write here? I'm at less than half of my pitiful views. I refuse to be roped into "write more and the ducats will fall from the sky".  I like Hub Pages. The editing platform is good and the system is very helpful for tracking traffic.

But why doesn't Hub Pages spring for some advertising or publicity work when Google goes all gaga. Google is not the only way to draw viewers and not all publicity costs money!

If we are as numerous as boasted about, why don't we show our power to Google and demand something better, as in:

A clear understanding about SEO and how we can improve our existing content. And I mean clear, not six pages of incomprehensible nonsense.

A warning that something is coming and some specific things we can do to prevent tanking in the views.

Some real pay for our ads, not just when or if Google gets paid. Google is placing ads on our content, there should be a minimum pay, even if it is on a one time basis. Google gets paid eventually, how do we know we are not being cheated?

I mean it. Give us TEN things we can do right now to improve our views, and in say it in less than 150 words.

Hub Pages might spring for a bit more advertising when our views tank like this. Google search is not the ONLY way to let readers know we exist. A reasonable advertising budget to draw readers when the views go down is not out of the question.  We can do the rest with Tweets and improving our hubs during the ad campaign.

Why can't we trend on Twitter? A promoted trend costs $150K, but the bulk of trends are free of charge!!
      I don't know how many tweets with the hashtag  #hubpages it takes to trend, but what if we set a date and went for it by tweeting our articles and retweeting other hubber's work?

First, you are a little confused on exactly how the ads work. Google doesn't place the ads, they aren't Google ads, Google is the middle man. Let's say I want to pay for advertising for my pit bull blog. We'll say the cost per click for the keyword "pit bull" is $1. Every time someone clicks on my ad, I pay Google $1, and they pay the owner of the site that the ad was click on from $.68. And you do get paid by Google for the ads regardless, that's called impressions. Google doesn't get paid for them, but they pay you.
      Second, no Google isn't the only search engine, but it also isn't the only search engine used. Your traffic drops because of changes to Google because over 70% of all search traffic is done though Google. I have plenty of search results on my hubs from Bing, but it is a small fraction of my total search results.
      If you think your traffic is HubPages fault, make a blog and post your stuff there. I use HubPages for back links to my blogs. Any money I make off of HubPages is nothing more than an added bonus. Regardless of where it is posted, traffic to your content will go up and down. It's called the Google Dance, and until they stop changing their algorithms or you get your content to a PR6 or higher, might as well get used to it.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
        Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You certainly did not read. I could not care less about how Google works. I want to know what gets us paid and why we don't stand up to some of Google's more unethical practices so  that we do get paid. Perhaps it is time to quit writing for Google and to write for viewers.

You don't have to deal with Google, at all. If you don't want to deal with Adsense to get paid, make a website and sell ads from Bing, or sell ads directly.
          And who said you have to write for Google? In fact, if you ignore SEO, and your content is good, it'll rank anyways. Then it won't be as affected when Google changes their algorithms. People don't do that because it takes longer to rank. You are supposed to write for viewers, not search engines. Google themselves say that. It's the main reason they added LSI keywords.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
            Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Sapper. It is good to know about the alternatives.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like your idea of an extended marketing effort on a site wide basis to bring back some of the traffic.  I would think that would help us rank higher on Google as well, since people are reading our stuff.

I wonder, though, what would happen when the marketing stops.  As people stop reading our articles because we aren't marketing them, whether that would make the hubs drop again?

Plus, I am sure this could cause problems within the community, as to which hubs / topics get marketed.

14. luciano63 profile image63
    luciano63posted 11 years ago

Sapper you are right! I started thinking about writing google friendly and I was not going anywhere...since 4 years I write from my viewers and I am doing preaty well..

15. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Thank you for posting that, Misty. I had no idea. Good to know.

16. MrAhmad profile image63
    MrAhmadposted 11 years ago

my traffic decreased drastically. But now it starting to climb up slowly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)