jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Suggestion: Don't confuse readers by so many links to other hubs..

1. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

From the profile page, a reader can link to the sites of the "others you might like". From the hub, a reader can link to one of the many hubs at bottom of page. In the slideshow, the reader can go to other hubs. I wonder if this can be confusing to readers who initially came to read an article that interested him. If I am a reader, I might want to move away from such confusion. I can't find my way back to the article I came to read.  Also, a viewer  can go immediately upon entry to the slide show and on to another hub from there. Can this hurt both hubbers and HubPages?  My views have decreased by half since these changes. I wonder if there is a correlation.

2. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

I'm sure that's not the reason for a decrease in traffic. If at all it would do anything would be an increase in traffic. People are going to check out the other hubs only when they reach the end of yours, so that's a good thing - decreased bounce rate...

Also, considering the slideshow - people are going to go to another hub only if they think it's better. You should try adding good pictures to your hubs - especially the first picture (wherever it appears on your hub). This would get you many visitors. I've noticed that my new hubs that don't rank well on search engines yet, get traffic from other hubbers. I know this thanks to analytics. I can see them coming from other subdomains.

3. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

I have good photos at the beginning of my hubs, and my views and income were great considering the number of hubs  So many people are losing money, that we need to think of any possible reasons. You do have a good point.

4. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

Loss in traffic is all around HP and I've not escaped it this time either. But, I've not been hit bad. Just seasonal traffic drop mostly as the peak of most of my hubs was around 2 months ago.

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

It may be an age thing, but I personally hate the jumbled mess of pictures everywhere. I far prefer to select what I am going to read from a list of titles and short summary.

I do not even bother to scroll down a page showing hubs in this way, because then I have to wait for all these useless images to load, and I get lost in the huge jumble.

It used to be simple to browse quickly through a hubber's output and select items of interest. Now it is no longer possible.

On the same note, I loathe the new welcome page. It starts with share a recipe, goes on to talk about debating something and finishes with inciting the production of how-to. Is this the targeted content for the Hubpages of the future: - recipes with videos showing how to open a can of pie filling, endless and pointless debates on religion and politics, and detailed how-to articles, with videos again of course, on how to turn on a light?

From the appearance of that page, I assume thoughtful and analytical pieces on topics deemed "intellectual" are no longer welcome (aarrrrghhh, perish the thought, you'll put off our visitors!)