jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

An Old One - but worth another Go - Simple Table of Contents

1. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 4 years ago

This has been raised many times but with a gal called  "Stellar" now recommending 15+ of capsules and 1500 words this may help to keep the impatient user with blinkers on the site for longer ( wood from the trees - reminds me of a couple of great common names for thorny vines in trop Oz -('Wait-a-while', 'Lawyer Vine' and 'Linger-longer'). You can do it in HTML but its such a pain. Should be a piece of cake for the HP tech team. Its on other unmentionable sites.
    Cheers and Linger Longer,

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think Darkside wrote a hub on how to do it manually.

janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sure I've done it mysel,f but is very complicated and messy.

2. cryptid profile image91
    cryptidposted 4 years ago

I second this.  I think it would be extremely useful for long hubs where visitors may get overwhelmed by the volume of content and hit the back button if they don't see exactly what they want right away.  If they can navigate directly to the information they want they may be more likely to stay on page.  Plus, I just think it's a better experience for the reader, even if they do decide to wade into long Hubs. 

I do know, like JA said, that it can be done with HTML, but it sure would be nice to just have an optional capsule available.

Silence reigns and we all get wet.

3. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

Personally, I would rather see very long hubs broken down to multiple hubs.  I did this with my 'Bylaws' series of hubs and I just used a text module to link each hub... 6 of them all together.  These are very well performing hubs, traffic wise are about 3 years old now.  In the first few months of their existence, I had the 'Table of Contents' module at the top but when I placed that module below the first text module I seen a huge spike in traffic and they have continued to perform very well for me.

Interlinking is a different kettle of fish - I agree works well for a series!

4. derek gulbranson profile image81
    derek gulbransonposted 4 years ago

I'm also a big fan of providing some kind of automatic table of contents. In addition to actual in-page navigation they also improve the scanablilty of the article (~70% of visitors only scan, rather than reading thoroughly).  I think there are definitely Hubs where it would be helpful to readers and I would love to provide the flexibility to authors. It's a hard sell getting this to the top of the priority list though, but maybe we can work it in with some other changes to the Hub and HubTool.

Thanks Derek glad its being considered.
      I greatly appreciate your repsonses.
      Cheers and Best Wishes,
      John

working