Trusted Authors for Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Why doesn't HP implement a 'Trusted Authors' scheme where established writers can by-pass the 24 hour 'Pending'  test for new hubs. As an established writer, I find this very annoying especially as the Google bot trawls Pending hubs, sees the NOINDEX Tag and does not re-crawl the page for days or weeks. I have to submit every new hub to Google Webmaster Central which is a pain and is time consuming and not always successful. Surely after 10 hubs have been approved - authors can be trusted? You can warn people that any slip-ups will mean that their 'trusted' status would be down-graded and re-evaluated for their next 10 hubs. Wouldn't this free up resources to test the 'newbies'? Other sites do this why not HP?

1. American_Choices profile image78
      American_Choicesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Time is money and IF you are a trusted author - this would be a simple and great reward. I don't know about the quantity of 10 but certainly something would be helpful.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Well, I don't know how they choose hubbers to feature right now.

I've recently seen two new hubbers join those who get instant featuring. Both have lowish hubberscores and well less than 10 hubs.

And their hubs were short.

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

'Scuse the thick question, but how can you tell who's got instant featuring?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just keep an eye on the feed. Those whose hubs are less than 24 hours old have got instant featuring.

http://hubpages.com/hubs/latest/

I see Bard has joined them. Good luck, mate!

Then again we have brand new hubbers with score of just 4 there too - http://manashub.hubpages.com/

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I see now - thanks! Bit baffled as to why they would let totally new people benefit from this instant featuring. I'd have thought putting people on moderation for the first half dozen or ten hubs would be the ideal way of cutting down spam/crap at source.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I understand it, they are testing to see if they can cut down on the time.  Are they, then, intentionally letting a variety of hubs go through their automatic system very rapidly to see what happens?  To see if it is catching what it should?

Testing with only known good hubs probably wouldn't do much good.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You could be right. They let a really poor one through the other day. Not so much badly written as a one paragraph effort.

It lasted about 3 hours, then disappeared.

I wish they would hurry up and let us all have the instant featuring again. It is approaching Christmas, the busiest time of the year.

I got the impression that was their ultimate aim, but could be wrong of course.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds reasonable to me.  The powers that be in HP aren't stupid, and they know very well that the Xmas season is major.  That the less delay the better, particularly during that period.

If a pitiful excuse for a hub lasted only 3 hours, that could be exactly what they're trying to do, to find a way to accomplish just that without undue delay of better ones.  Sounds hopeful, anyway.

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

I'm not that sure the word 'Trusted' should be applied to anything relating to this set of supposed 'improvements'...

Perhaps they were 'only testing' when they removed 4 of my primary traffic hubs from page 1 on Google.... which now gain F-all traffic, have lost their PR and now can be disposed of simply because my directness is not appreciated!
    What a great way of destroying 3 years efforts...
    I suppose all those great keywords are now available to be shared with newly courted newbies and alike!  I don't believe this has anything to do with Google - All my links have been manipulated internally since at least November last year!  sad

@ Izzy... Perhaps you should have a closer look at all your linking historically... you may find the exact reason why some of us have clearly been 'tested' in what I consider to be an unwarranted and unethically 'untrustworthy' manner!  I'm not sure if this 'testing' has been done on US writers here - but it sure has to some of those other non-US writers that I know of... A horrible dark thought, when one considers that a great deal of non-US writers have helped HubPages to achieve every goal it has achieved... I'm thinking aloud... and I'm sure that what I'm thinking has been thought of by others!

Nothing.... Absolutely Nothing justifies this re-indexing, manipulating or ripping down quality work that has on its own quality merits, risen to prominence within the search engines and has done so having fully followed TRUSTED SEO and Google advice! All my SE positions have effectively now been Hijacked with this BS process - (which in the absence of any genuine transparency remains in my professional opinion - BS).

One of the Best Things I know about business people who prefer to act without transparency is this:-
    "That it is Not about what is Said - It is Solely about What Is NOT Said!"

Hit me with a stick or do your best to discredit my words... But... Nothing that is being promoted as "justified as a result of advice from Google" -(quote) relating of Quality Writer's Work as being substandard justifies removing their page 0ne and Two positions on SEs... Kindly Stop insulting us like this! sad

1. tussin profile image59
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

US-based writers are also being subjected to this.

5. derek gulbranson profile image78
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

Hi janderson, thanks again for the suggestion.

Reputation of the Hubber is indeed taken into account in the QAP so basically what you suggest is already happening.

@IzzyM, that latest Hubs feed you linked is no longer used and has no relationship to Hub status.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oops I seem to have upset you Derek, as this is the second time this evening you have referenced me in threads?

Also, I had no idea that this feed http://hubpages.com/hubs/latest/ is no longer used, and that it means nothing in terms of whether or not a hub is featured.

Interesting.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the feed is "no longer used"... well, it still exists and is clearly some subset of hubs. For the sake of the curious: What is it for?

6. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

I didn't realize that someone else had brought up the problem that the no index tag creates, obviously hubpages now has 2 suggestions on fixing the issue, janderson and my own that I submitted under the forum titled 24 Hour Pending Publication Has Negative Impact on Search Engine Rank I hope the issue gets dealt with soon.  I'm not as new as I look and happen to have an education in SEO and web design, so I hope they take someone's advice to remove the no index tag in some fashion.

7. kathleenkat profile image81
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Is there not a way to submit a link to be crawled by a search engine, anyway?

I don't recall the site, but it was specifically meant for the "hey, this article has been updated" kind of thing. You insert the link, and it submits it to be crawled (or something).

1. IzzyM profile image86

I believe you are referring to Google's Webmaster tools where you can ask Google to fetch the hub, and hopefully index it.

It doesn't always work, as Google indexes what it wants, not what you want.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)