Homeless at 50

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

How many of you think you could live in a tent in winter in Nebraska?  I'll be doing just that next week.  Yup, homeless once again.  I will however be able to get on line as I'm living in an all year camp ground.  Will be hauling my water with a broken ankle and will have my dogs for warmth.  I'll be sending  a diary on my success.  Yes, success. I ask PLEASE give blankets, warm winter coats and sleeping bags to the homeless.  Just walk right up to them and hand it to them.  They are people just like me.  I broke my ankle in May, lost my job and my car and there is no public transportation.  I'm just now walking again without assistance.  PLEASE give food to the foodbanks as they run out frequently leaving people without a warm meal on a cold winters night.  Keep a lookout for my updates.  Scared?  Yes I am, However, if you are scared you can't survive so I'll be in my survival mode.  Food?  no problem I hunt and fish and have protection from the mt. lions and bobcats that frequent the area.  PLEASE HELP THE HOMELESS IN YOUR AREA.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry about your plight! It seems to be everywhere these days. I saw some teenagers playing a guitar and singing, with a hat out for money. I've never seen anything like that in my life around here.

I hope you will be ok!

I would be homeless and without meds if it weren't for the kind family that I have. I feel exceedingly grateful and lucky. I have to get food from the food bank. I have been working with Goodwill to get a job. I just got out of the psych ward for the last week. Some of the people there have no where to go once they get out, it's really sad. All of the shelters are crowded. I think we're in a true Depression.

Good luck to you.

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bless your heart. I hope you are feeling better and keep up the good work girl.  You are blessed to have family, wherein I don't.  You have angels in your life!  Good luck with your job as well!!!  I'l be praying for you.

2. moneyfairy profile image60
      moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra,
      I'm sorry you are going through such a devastating time.( I know you don't want anyone to feel sorry for you, but rather just to write and share your life's expereince and growth in the horrible circumstances of the time) I wish I could help you somehow. You are one of the strongest women I know. You're survival skills are invaluable now.  I am very close to having nothing as well, just trying to keep one step ahead and hope I never have to live without  some kind of shelter. I always wished for millions$$$$ to help others, I'd love to be a philanthropist but alas I can only say prayers for all and ask for all your guardian angels to surround and protect you and guide you to what your next step is for an abundant, prosperous, joyfilled ,peaceful and happy life.  Just know inside yourself that you are a perfect whole and complete child of the all in all and that you will always be provided for if you trust and believe. (Which I think you do)
      Big hugs to you Sarra, all the best on this , your life's journey.

3. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sarra,
      I will add your name to the prayers I say this Saturday at the breakfast ministry for homeless men and needy families I run at my church. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I wish you strength and God's peace.

2. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Sometimes they refuse offers i wad surprised.  I have been thete so know how tuff it is sending angels to watch over youth

3. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Sometimes they refuse offers i wad surprised.  I have been thete so know how tuff it is sending angels to watch over youth

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Hi Sara,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I noticed that you mention on your profile that you are an armed forces veteran, this website seems to have a lot of information and resources for ex-forces members who are struggling financially. There are a number of charities listed here which appear to offer financial aid for those who need it.

http://www.operationwearehere.com/Finan … anchor_260

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but may well be worth a try.

Good luck, I sincerely hope your homeless situation is resolved soon.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Sarra, please contact me privately.

1. CloudExplorer profile image78
      CloudExplorerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I second the motion of Habee, I am willing to help you as well Sarra, with online advice, and methods to help raise funding for ya. Good Luck either way, if there is a will there definitely is a way we all can help you out.

6. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Sarra, where do you live?

Certainly someone on HubPages can offer you a spare bedroom, or even a couch, until you get on your feet! I am acquainted with someone who has taken a homeless person in, in exchange for help around the house and yard.

7. HoneyBB profile image93
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

A disabled vet, you say, living in a tent in the cold, hard, dead of winter. People should be outraged. They should be outraged regardless of your vet status. Nobody in America, nor on this planet, for that matter, should ever have to succumb to that. This is your story, Sarra. The article that you hope will put a roof over your head and food on your table. This should be a Best Sellling Book. Authors should be jumping all over this. People need to know the cold, hard facts of who we have become. A nation living in fear to reach out and help her fellow brother or sister does not a nation make. While I do concede that many good people reach out and help and I commend them, we, as a people, have become fearful to bring others into the safe boundaries of our own lives. I offer you to come stay with me. However, this is not a fancy offer, as I too am living in poverty. I have no bed of my own to offer you, nor do I have a couch for you to rest your weary head. However, we can carry each other to the finish line, limping along the way, be it may. So, I offer you this in hopes that you are given a better offer; for your sake, not mine; but in fear that you won't be. Come stay with me, and I will help you get back on your feet ... bad ankle and all.  However, I,too, have the fear of allowing a stranger into my safe haven; therefore, I have to request references with people I could call to verify your character, as should request of me also, and I would gladly provide.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)