jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Why is stolen work showing up in Google search but not the original?

1. christin53 profile image80
    christin53posted 4 years ago

I've just taken a snippet of one of my poems and done a Google search. One result came up which was the whole poem someone has copied and posted on facebook. This poetry hub has never been idle and used to get good traffic until mid September. So I am baffled as to why a copied version shows up and my original poem doesn't show up at all.It's no wonder my traffic has slumped badly I'm now wondering if any of my hubs will show up in a Google search.

1. tommen profile image83
      tommenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As I understand it, Google knows which one is the original and will definitely credit you for it.How familiar are you with how Google works when they index sites?

1. christin53 profile image80
        christin53posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well I am still learning how Google works and I've just done another search,this time my work does show up but only through various links I've submitted. The actual hub itself is not in the results but other poetry hubs come up not related to me. I've done another fetch with web-master tools and indexed it again to see if this makes any difference.

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

I had a poem lifted (last year) and used on a Face Book page. If it had been any other circumstances, I might have felt like creating a fuss but as they had used it as a memorial tribute, I did not pursue it.  I think unfortunately, some people just believe that whatever is on the internet is there to use as they wish without asking.

3. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

Go to my profile and read the article about Plagiarism Detection.

Follow the methods listed to detect and remove plagiarized content.

I personally filed 42 DMCA requests last week, and all of the plagiarized content has been removed.

Content thieves love to steal content from HubPages!  It's because they find so many quality articles here.

If your stolen content is on a site which displays AdSense, report to them, too.  (Instructions in my Hub.)  The more reports, the more the plagiarists will be hurt in their pocketbooks instead of ours.  Maybe they will give up and get a job at McDonalds.

Please let me know if the methods don't work for you.

1. waybe2012 profile image59
      waybe2012posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good article,  Writer Fox.

2. christin53 profile image80
      christin53posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've just read your article and it's really good I shall be checking more of my work now. I am not going to report the stolen poem at the moment as it is just the one, I was more bothered about the fact my poetry hub wasn't showing up in the results at all,which is something I am trying to rectify.

4. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 3 years ago

I have had hubs of mine stolen and pasted elsewhere and then getting much better Google search ratings than my originals. It is very annoying!

1. tommen profile image83
      tommenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Bard! I have the same thing happened to me all the time.I have a quite popular blog (tlmarketing.net) and people like to republish my articles through the RSS feed.Sometimes their RSS feed posting shows above the original one on my blog for some time.Over time, it will be ok.The original work always get s the best position.

2. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Google has a new notice in your Webmaster Tools account, whereby Google will advise you if a duplicate content site begins to rank higher than yours.  I don't completely trust this notice, though, I always rely on my own checking.  This will work for your Hubpages account, because you can sign up for  Webmaster Tools with a subdomain.  If you are posting on other sites without a separate subdomain, you won't be able to set up a Webmaster tools account for your articles.

The DMCA notices do work, however.  Here's a fresh article about 1.5 million taken down with a single DMCA notice: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121 … tice.shtml