jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Please give me some advice on my first Hub! Feedback appreciated!

1. Halvsies profile image72
    Halvsiesposted 4 years ago

Well, the title pretty much says it all.  I published my first hub and it can be found here.

http://halvsies.hubpages.com/hub/firstguitarlesson

Much thanks,
    Halvsies

1. kschang profile image89
      kschangposted 4 years ago in reply to this

1) The pictures that show up on Google image search do NOT belong to Google, and thus listing the URL via Google search does not prove you have rights to use it. You need to find Creative Commons licensed pictures.

2) The sections have very uneven length. First section consumed 50% of the vertical space, and remaining got much much less. Even it out a little. Feels as if you didn't spend as much time on the last 2 sections.

3) Any thoughts about recording your own performance? Electric guitar is easier as you can connect the amp to a PC or one of those iPhone amp plugs. Acoustic requires a microphone stand and a decent microphone, I guess...

Halvsiesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I cited the location of the file.  Same thing as using a picture in an academic paper, which is legal as long as you cite it.

Halvsiesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Furthermore, the sections are uneven, but I believe I was succinct in getting my point across in the 2-4 sections.  I like to avoid gratuitous information when possible.  Thanks for the feedback though, I will consider the things you said and how I can make my future hubs better with your advice

2. kschang profile image89
          kschangposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nope. Hubpages is NOT an Academic paper. Same standards do NOT apply.

Personally, I think your section one's too long ANY WAY. It needs to be divided up into more subpoints.

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

Welcome to HubPages smile I think you did a great job except you need to add video, or poll. Maybe something a little humorous wink those are used to prolong the stay of your audience so they don't miss out on our ads. smile

3. Gary Holdaway profile image71
    Gary Holdawayposted 4 years ago

writing google images as the URL is not sufficient for use in hubs. You need to own, or have legal use of the image. If I take a photo and it appears on google images because of my hubpages account, and you used it without my permission, I can tell you right now that you wouldn't be using it legally. As you don't have my permission, hypothetically.

Also, it is beneficial to update already published hubs, to stop them going idle, so you can and should update all hubs with everything you learn through this process.

working