jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Went on vacation came home to Zzzs.

1. moonlake profile image88
    moonlakeposted 3 years ago

While on vacation I came home to Zzzs some were on haiku hubs. I took the haikus off and I'm going to take the rest off. I'm sick of dealing with them and I'm not that good when it comes to haikus. I also lost money and my views were down they had started to go up before I left now they're way down.  I fianlly made it to 130 hubs now I have to start deleting.
    I have hubs in pending now. What does hubs in pending do to my account? Does it cause lost traffic and lost earnings on all my hubs?

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Pending is the 24 hour stage between hubs going from idle to featured. They are still not visible to the search engines at this point, and you don't want to edit them or they will stay in pending mode for longer.

If most of your hubs are haikus, which I believe are those ridiculously short poems that are to my mind a total waste of bandwidth, you might be better putting them all in one hub and entitling them something searchable, like 'Collection of Haiku Poems'.

Your hubs would not have been put to sleep is they were garnering traffic.

Concentrate on informational or sales hubs to get search engine views and earnings.

A lot of us have recently seen the withdrawal of Google traffic (again!) so maybe you are suffering from that too.

Another update will come along and maybe traffic will return, or maybe it won't.

I'm getting a bit sick of all this dancing going on too sad

2. Jamie Brock profile image95
      Jamie Brockposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for asking this.. I was wondering about it myself....Going to go check out the zzZZZ's and update and see if that helps anything.

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 3 years ago

I enjoy poems and haiku's smile and think it would be sad to lose such writers. Literature is part of education and believe you can probably write up about it as such. Encourage that particular area to create some monetary value. I wouldn't give up entirely.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

I must leap in to defend haiku. When created by a master of the form, such as Matsuo Basho, the few words create a snapshot, which condenses those magical moments of revelation we are sometimes privileged to experience if we have the sensitivity to recognise them.

I agree that there are a lot of bad haiku around. It particularly gets me mad when haiku is used as an "easy" poetry-writing exercise, the implication being that it doesn't matter what you write as long as it contains 17 syllables. This confirms the artistic bankruptcy of so many so-called teachers, who seem to be unaware that the literary mastery required to succeed increases exponentially as the number of words used decreases.

True haiku, written in the correct spirit, is not only not a waste of bandwidth, it is a highly disciplined and sublime art form. That said, were Basho to be attempting today to establish a name and income via HP and the Internet in general, I would not rate his chances of success very highly. The average surfer cares nothing for art and wants either to buy something or to obtain instant gratification without the need for any engagement beyond a Facebook like or a Pinterest pin. The thought of engaging one's brain vis a vis a creative work is not a concept that can be grasped by such morons.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Did you enjoy that wee jump? lol

Obviously I am not a poetry fan unless it is genius - like this - http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-river-s-tale/ - just heard that read aloud on Radio 4 a week or two ago and it sounds great!

I have nothing against poets, or those who want to read it.

Those of you who write poems here on HP risk getting your work stolen big time by singer/song-writers, but that is another problem.

I honestly think that all poets should get together with musicians and see if a new Lennon/McCartney duo have a future.

I'm sorry but haiku does nothing for me, even if well-written. It is probably short enough for me to actually remember off by heart, but what is the point?

Maybe I will appreciate it at some point in the future, but I still stand by the point I made that haiku writers should condense their work into some sort of compendium.

Then, it might make a hub.