jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How to block ads within the text of your hub

1. Marsei profile image87
    Marseiposted 3 years ago

How do I stop the ads that create links within the text of my hubs (turn one word blue)?  For instance, in my most recent hub the word opportunity has been turned blue and leads to an ad for a school.  Can anyone help?  How do I block this?

1. Lipnancy profile image93
      Lipnancyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This was happening on my system for months and months. I tried everything to rid myself of it. Just when I was about to call my tech guy, I discovered that it was a plugin on my Google browser and was easily removed by going to the plug-in section and deleting it.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As a user already stated, HubPages does not run inline (hyper-linked words) ads.
      It sounds like you have malware on your computer.
      Many times this comes as part of a browser ado-on, but could also be stand alone malware.

First try disabling or uninstalling browser add-ons/plug-ins/etc.
      Then run a malware scan.
      As for anti-virus and security software in Windows, I use Microsoft Security essentials which is free and I have had no issues with it.

Make sure that you remove any other A/V software before installing a new program as they like to "fight" smile

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 3 years ago

HubPages no longer hosts in-line text ads on Hubs (i.e. the dead Kontera ad program), but several users have reported learning their home computers were infected with malware that caused these ads to appear when they viewed their Hubs and other sites.

1. Marsei profile image87
      Marseiposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  Sounds like I need to upgrade my virus protection.
      Thanks for your time.