Good news for Wizzley

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

HubPages keeps on idling perfectly good hubs about all sorts of topics including places to visit in Tenerife, Uri Geller, Flying Saucers, and even about the late Syd Barrett, who was the genius behind Pink Floyd in the beginning.  I suppose the argument would be that he died a while back and isn't newsworthy now and everything has to be what people are searching for now!  Forest fires in Tenerife get the zz treatment too but they were back in August so, of course, not being currently searched for.

When this happened before I wasted my time tweaking all idled hubs to put them back in action but no more. Now they can all go over to Wizzley where I need to increase my wizzles. This place is giving me a ready supply and if HubPages don't want my work I will take it elsewhere!

Many people, myself included, use the Internet to research subjects we are writing about and past news is often of great use so I cannot understand this idea that if it isn't current then it's no good viewpoint!

2. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I can't help but think it is Google driven --- would I be wrong?

3. Rain Defence profile image78
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Dude you keep repeating yourself with the same topic and starting lots of threads about it. If you don't like it then move your stuff over to Wizzley and see how you get on there then. You're just wasting time complaining about it, time that could be spent on writing instead. It has been done for a reason, as google have contacted hubpages as you were shown before in your other thread. If you don't agree with it then nobody is forcing you to have your articles here.
    Read this for some information about it. Most people that have commented and voted tend to want to increase their overall views on here, rather than decrease them.

http://donbobbitt.hubpages.com/hub/The- … od-for-you

Not trying to pick on you, but it just seems pointless repeating yourself. Complain to Mr Google if you don't like it.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bard is repeating himself because this stuff matters to him and the HP staff are just not responding to any of his concerns.

Like many of us, he doesn't necessarily want huge amounts of traffic, but is creating niche content for a more specific audience.  This used to be a writing site, where hubs like Bard's were encouraged, but now all that seems to matter is traffic.

If this treatment of an established and well respected hubber doesn't concern you, then maybe it is you who has missed the point?

1. Rain Defence profile image78
        Rain Defenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What I'm saying is what is the point of repeating the same point over and over? If you look at the other thread, the reason for idle has been clearly explained. The idea is to benefit both the hubbers and the site owners. If people are frustrated at low views on their hubs, I understand, but complaining about it isn't going to help, the hubs either need to be updated into something people want to read, or deleted/moved. No amount of complaining about it will help, it's not been done to spite hubbers, it's been done to help hubpages hubs rank better in google.
        Anyway, maybe for some reason or other Bard will fare better with his stuff at Wizzley. I don't know if the articles will be searched out by more people when they are hosted on that site, but you never know, maybe their site is optimised differently.

2. Bard of Ely profile image80
        Bard of Elyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for all you have said there, CMHypno!

1. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well it looks like you might have made some impact with your threads Bard, as I see that Paul Edmondson has appeared in the forums tonight and has opened a thread on pending hubs

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Google did contact HubPages, but all they did was send a standard letter, which lots of other webmasters got as well.  It advised HubPages to get rid of shallow, low quality pages.  It said not one word about getting rid of good quality pages which don't get much traffic.   HubPages have chosen to interpret it that way - and I have yet to find any other site that is doing the same thing, or any respected internet guru who is even recommending it.  Squidoo is the only one that does anything close, and it's nowhere near as harsh.

I do agree, though, that Bard is flogging a dead horse.  Although his Hubs can't get idled on sites like Wizzley, Seekyt or Infobarrel, the fact is that if they didn't get much traffic when HubPages was doing well, they will get even less traffic on those sites.  And I do know that Bard had quite a lot of Hubs that didn't get traffic even in the best times.

An additional problem for me now is that I am put off writing articles because they are not 'popular' subjects. If the public are not interested anyway offline then they are not likely to be on!  But this means that some subjects become almost taboo due to lack of public interest. This is not because they are not important but because people are conditioned by the media as to how they react.

In the UK ,my friend King Arthur Pendragon is campaigning to get bones returned to Stonehenge and he has a petition for this and has had a lot of press coverage.  It seems that most people agree with him that it is a matter of common decency for the bones to be put back in what was intended as their final resting place.  Over here in Tenerife there are not just bones but entire mummies of the Guanche people on display in the museum after they were removed long ago from the scared caves they were laid to rest in.  There are hundreds of Guanche remains that this has happened to but no one makes any complaint about that and the subject is ignored. To my mind this is important and can be extended to all the other remains of the dead in museums and collections around the world. If I write a hub about it though it is going to get idled because no one is searching for info on this subject and no one is doing anything about it here.

Btw, Marisa, I have had to move your interview to Wizzley as it was among the idled hubs and has been reactivated and idled again! As I have stated I am taking all my idled articles off here and have found it to be a waste of time tweaking them!

4. Bard of Ely profile image80

Well, I find it very annoying and so I am reacting which is natural. I tweaked all my hubs recently making them active again and now today find a whole stack of them are idled. This creates a lot of unnecessary work and if the links are elsewhere on the web they become invalid if you unpublish and delete. I find the whole business very frustrating and most of it has nothing to do with quality at all!  Don't worry I am shifting my articles. Five have gone today!
    I supported this site for four years and really believed it was a great place to showcase my work and to be proud of my articles but I can no longer say this!

5. Rain Defence profile image78
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

I understand your frustration. I haven't been hit by idle on any of my hubs yet, although I have my eyes on a couple that I suspect will be hit soon as they don't get much action. Let us know how it goes at Wizzley, I'm a member there and have a few articles, but never really bothered with the site much, for no reason really, just have never got round to it.

Well, sadly I am now getting excited about Wizzley.just like I used to be about this place but it has simply got me down with one thing after another here, and having perfectly good writings pulled is the final straw for me.
      I am still staying but won't be putting anywhere near the work I used to into my accounts here. It is wasted effort.  And as CMHypno has pointed out the staff who used to frequently post in the forums are very quiet about this!

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Wow, good going CMHypno smile I agree. Bard is one of our long standing authors here at HP. I can fully relate to his being upset with having our hubs cut off from web traffic altogether after the past and current efforts to bring traffic and sprinkle links around. It does all seem futile especially if Hubs get idled AGAIN after tweaking them yikes hope all goes well, Bard smile

Thanks for seeing my point of view too, Dame Scribe!

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Bard of Ely is one of the good guys. smile

Thank you for saying so!

8. Dame Scribe profile image57

One thing I must say tongue the direction of some thinking going on around us, seems to point to writing about 'fluff' never mind the 'educational' informative articles hmm makes you wonder just what kind of 'audience' we must cater to.

9. Bard of Ely profile image80

Perhaps I am too deep and philosophical for this place now?  lol

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

Tis funny when you mention that, don't you think? it's usually been the deep thinkers and philosophers who brought change to various area's of study wink maybe just write on other sites. Spin-offs of articles that exists here. Linking back to our work from other sites is already figured out by the big 'G' tongue so not sure what backlinking from our own other blogs will/can do. Guest blog for other travel blogs, Bard smile that may help boost your own site. Just some thoughts.

11. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thanks for your support, Dame Scribe! I am currently focused on moving enough hubs over to Wizzley to get high ranking on the front page there.  Then I will be able to see how much money comes in or not. It no longer makes any difference what I do here!

12. Bard of Ely profile image80

I'll go and have a look! I am glad to hear that Paul is in the forums!

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

I agree with Bard as it was mentioned on another forum that It takes search bots upwards of 14 days to re-visit a hub once it has been marked as idled. I do however agree with the concept behind its creation but not sure if this is the right way to go.

Thanks for agreeing, Luis!

14. Dame Scribe profile image57

Bard, this is why I said, write for other travel blogs (guest post). You can then leave a link to point to your Tenerife hubs. Direct links aren't closed off, least I don't think they're completely closed off for traffic yikes take a look at front page listings about travel and see how you can offer one to match. 'Competition' analysis can be good wink

15. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thank you for the advice! I have written for a travel blog in the past and been paid  but not for a while so haven't been thinking of this.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bard, you seem to write about places in Tenerife which are non commercial, off the hidden trail, the kind of place I'd like to visit actually (although I did live in Tenerife for a few months during the eighties smile ) Have you thought about projecting your articles to backpackers? I bet they'd be *exactly* the kind of places that backpackers would opt for.

Ten great places for backpackers in Northern/Southern Tenerife.?

This is a great idea I think, so thanks for the suggestion!

You're very welcome.

Just another thought, but I was reading that due to the economic climate, a lot of graduates from the Uk and Europe are taking their gap years closer to home. I don't know what volunteering opportunities might exist in Tenerife, but for those gap year kids who want to do a bit of voluntary work during the gap year, this could be another way to pitch your Tenerife articles.

Gap year on a budget, 5 great volunteering opportunities in Tenerife.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And to add to that - what about Best 5 Nightclubs on Tenerife or Best Restaurants or even just Best Places for Cheap Booze?

I am pretty sure UK universities send their geology and meteorology students to Tenerife as part of their studies, and possibly their astronomy students too (haven't they got some wonderful telescope or something?).

The universities themselves will have their own intrawebs on all that stuff so these students will likely not use Google search for any of it.

But they will want to know the in-places to go, especially near to their campus.

And if bars in Tenerife are anything like Benidorm, they will keep changing, giving you lots of updating to do which should keep the idled hubs at bay!

Brilliant, I hadn't even thought about students from specific disciplines. And they'll want cheap, cheap, cheap. Bard's in a brilliant position to get all the relevant info. Ah, he could even think about guest blogging for some backpacking sites, drive traffic to his articles.

Thank you for these great ideas, Hollie!  I am noting it all down.

No problem. smile

2. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thank you, Izzy, for getting me thinking about something I have neglected here. I don't live near the university city La Laguna but it was where I first stayed when I came to Tenerife. Only problem most of the students are Spanish so writing about this in English for English viewers might not work so well. I'll have a think about this.

1. IzzyM profile image87

A few years ago I was considering applying to Strathclyde University for a geology degree, and part of their course included sending students to Tenerife, so there must be British students there too.

The young Spanish want to learn English to broaden their own career prospects, so I would aim it towards them too, but in English.

Or even a hub aimed at young English speakers who want a summer job on the island, and there are plenty of them!

The point is, you want at least one successful hub on your Tenerife articles - and if that means dumbing down, then do it.

How to Get a Summer Job in Tenerife is a search term, but I don't know how popular it is.

Once you have a successful one relating to Tenerife, you can then link in ALL your Tenerife articles and they will all get residual traffic from the main one.

It doesn't matter what platform you are writing on, link them all in across the web, and throw in a few authority sites.

What I am not sure of is whether it is good to have two-way links or just one-way links like on a link wheel.

But all links are really important these days.

16. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

Wizzley:
    Global traffic ranking 37,314
    Worth in US Dollars $210,240
    Approximate Daily Income $292.00

Hubpages
    Global traffic ranking 352
    Worth in US Dollars $23,650,920
    Approximate Daily Income $21,899

Go ahead and take your articles to Wizzley. More money for us to split.

Where have you received this information from? You haven't Quoted a source.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Comments like this directed towards a well-respected hubber going through a difficult patch with his online portfolio of well-written articles is childish, unnecessary and uncalled for.

Wizzley is a new site that is doing very well from all accounts.

HP is struggling but hopefully will come back again at some point.

Meanwhile hubbers like Bard and indeed, myself, have to take articles off here and find a new home for them. That is not to say we are leaving. We are spreading our wings and making the most of articles we have put a lot of time and effort into researching and writing.

Not that anyone should have to explain that to you, or anyone else who jumps in with inane comments without reading threads properly.

+100

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Well, maybe.   I think we all got a rosy impression of Wizzley when it first opened because several Hubbers moved over there and were getting great results in its early days.    I know one Hubber who had stellar results there at first - but it didn't last.  A bit like the way new HubPages sub-domains do well at first, and then don't!

From what I understand now, it's a perfectly good boutique revenue-sharing site, but it doesn't stand out from the pack.   Like GA said, how often do you see a Wizzley article when you're searching for something?

3. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thank you for your support, Izzy!

3. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This likely comes from a silly traffic/webstats fake estimator.

They tend to pretend to look like an Alexa type site - are plastered with ads and are complete conjecture.

I would hope most online writers would understand the dozens of reasons why such figures cant be auto-computed.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found one of those once and posted it here. It said on average that our subdomains were worth around $300,000 each big_smile

17. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Hey, folks. Want to know what your subdomain is worth?

Using the above figures...

If Approximate Daily Income of $21,899 equates to a Worth in US Dollars of $23,650,920,

Then

Approximate Daily Income of $1 equates to a Worth in US Dollars of $1,080.

So, for every $1/day income your subdomain generates, your subdomain is worth that times $1,080.

Frankly, I think that number is kind of low. I wouldn't sell anything that throws off a yearly 30%+ yield.

Me neither, and I'm absolutely *sure* that mine is worth ten fold. lol

Been thinking some more on this.

A 5% annual yield is pretty good these days.

So, doing the math, for each $1/day, Your subdomain is worth $7,300.

Minus the risk factor of course...

Emm, should I sell or should I wait?

Somehow I don't think most of us will ever be confronted with that problem...

18. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 11 years ago

just tossing out a thought...

Wizzley may or may not be a place to get views. I have not checked it out or used it.

and it may be a viable platform to place your "non-traffic" generating content

but... the thought occurred that I do A LOT of Google searches on a lot of topics in the process of researching for articles

and I don't remember ever seeing a wizzley article in the serps

Don't jump on me. Maybe I just don't research wizzley-type content subjects...

still...  we all want traffic of some sort

GA

19. profile image0
    Nell Hoxsieposted 11 years ago

Wizzley is much newer than HP and much smaller. So I'm not surprised that we're not seeing much in the way of results across lots of categories. I have a small portfolio there and the traffic is steadily going in the right direction. During the last Panda/Penguin Whatever Google thing, my Wizzley traffic just kept on growing. (But I believe there are some Hubbers who can also say that.)

I still believe that HP will be okay in the long run. I intend to follow Paul E's advice about writing long and detailed articles with lots of different capsules, on topics that I can be considered a legitimate authority. I still prefer the HubPages layout and vibe to any other writing platform. I'm glad I got my paypal account straightened so I can benefit by the come back.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I wish I had your confidence!   I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with Wizzley.  I'm just concerned that some Hubbers seem to be flocking to Wizzley in the belief that it's much, much better than HubPages and they'll be able to get back to those glorious pre-Panda days when we all made money without having to learn about SEO, keywords, promotion or any of that other boring stuff.

Wizzley has a lot going for it, but the way I see it, making money there is no more or less challenging than writing anywhere else.

20. profile image0
    Nell Hoxsieposted 11 years ago

Agreed Marissa, Hubs or Wizzles do have to be written with a specific audience in mind to get traffic. They have to be monetized properly for the topic and platform. That's why I never did a wholesale move of my Hubs. I just deleted them and moved on. I wrote what I thought would work for a given time and platform. When the times changed, I changed what I wrote about and how I wrote. I'm definitely not writing the same old product stuff anywhere now. The easy money is gone - not just at HP but everywhere.

21. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thanks for pointing me in a new direction!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)