jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Request A Slider-Easy to Difficult

1. 0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 3 years ago

I am requesting a "slider" that would work much like Hopper ones to be used for DIY projects. It would be nice to be able to pick out those projects that are easy and those in the middle, and those that are difficult. That way, we all can choose projects that fit our expertise.

This slider could also be used for recipe Hubs. Those recipes with multiple steps or requiring a higher understanding for cooking would now be able to be marked easy to difficult.

And, you could use this for reviewing books for children. Easy to Difficult. etc.--Deb

2. Novel Treasure profile image84
    Novel Treasureposted 3 years ago

I like that idea. I think it fits better for those categories, than a star ranking.

3. derek gulbranson profile image80
    derek gulbransonposted 3 years ago

It is a cool idea. The hard part would be the way to browse/navigate things by their slider value. Maybe we could just have set options like easy, medium, hard, but we'd probably get more use out of them if they could be customized and that makes things a bit more difficult.

You know, aside from the navigation part you can probably do this on your own with image modules and a graphic of a slider. It wouldn't have any navigation elements but it could serve as an indication to your readers.

1. 0
      GoldenThreadPressposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Derek: I believe you already have this option of a sort with your Hub Hopper sliding scale, ex. Substance, Organization, Grammar and Mechanics. Obviously, for the Hub Hopper the "stops" define rubrics for a gradient markup/markdown for each. But, rather than doing a number of "stops," I like the idea of three: easy, medium or difficult. You could insert the criteria for each "stop" and then the Hub writer could just slide the toggle to the difficulty and once submitted toggle would "lock."
      OR... Better Yet...
      The other thought I had might work with the rating system of "stars." By using the definition of 1-star easy, three-stars medium difficulty, 5-stars difficult, you could define it that way--in addition, maybe Google might recognize the Rating option more than the slider.
      OR...Better Still...
      Create a "Rate Your Own System": where the Hub writer uses the star system but with the writer-created definitions that they could insert upon creation of this capsule: for example 1-3-5 could mean easy, medium, difficult for projects or recipes; short, medium, long time to prepare/create/write; dislike-somewhat like-really like; cold-medium-hot, G-PG-R (rating for movies), $, $$, $$$ (money cost for any product/service/restaurant/hotel/ etc.

I can see Google not having an issue with this, as it does recognize hotel $  $$  $$$ etc. Not sure programming-wise, but I do understand and can relate to using a graphic of slider. The only problem--and this may not even be an issue, is that the graphic will probably have to exist as a "photo?" Not sure how to include graphic unless one uses the HTML option, but not sure if many people are comfortable with doing this type of stuff.  Just a thought--and thanks for responding!--Deb