jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Changing the Title of a Hub

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

I have noticed that you can easily change the title of a hub and it seems to change the title in your account list, but I noticed it never seems to change in the URL assigned to that hubpage.  Is this to discourage changing the title?  I'm new and starting to experiment with the effects of having a good title.  I also have written hubs about Christmas that can easily be changed to Valentine's Day, etc.

2. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

I would suggest that you go to the suggestion forum and ask HubPages what they can do to correct this concern, as many of seem to ask the same question. By the way it is a very good question.smile

3. johnr54 profile image69
    johnr54posted 7 years ago

No, It won't change the URL as in the eyes of the search engines that is no different than creating a new hub page, but it would have mostly duplicate content with the old hub.

Once a page is creaed and crawled by the search engines, it's there. No point in changing it.

The obvious question, is why would you need to change the URL?  It's not really a factor in search engine ranking, (maybe with the exception of MSN but Hubpages get's little traffic from them to start with.)  Changing a URL will cause more harm than good.

If you are really bent on changing it, delete the old one and create a new one, since that's what changing the old URL is considered in the eyes of the search engines.

4. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 7 years ago

I'd recommend you change the title to something more keyword specific or delete the hub (after copying and pasting the content into a new hub of course!) and place the right web address that you want to stay as the permanent url.

I suppose if people were able to change url's later on down the road the links that they have spread and shared won't work if the url was changed after the fact.

5. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.  It just seemed easy enough to make a few alterations and rename a season specific hub.  The URL was the one giveaway that you'd done that.  I don't know enough about the how the search engines catalog everything.   And yes, I didn't want to end up with duplicate content.