jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Greetings From Northern New Jersey!

1. Jean Bakula profile image97
    Jean Bakulaposted 3 years ago

We finally got our power back after 7 nights. I am grateful my family and home are safe, but it was sure hard living in the darkness, with no heat, lights, hot water, etc. The shore area and NY got most of the attention, but there was a lot of devastation here too. I don't think our town addressed the problems, and want to get a group together to begin a community shelter. Many homes down the Jersey shore are vacation homes and rentals, not primary residences as we have in the North. Not that my heart does not go out to them, but they have insurance, and likely don't live in those homes you see underwater on the news. It still hurt to see the rides on the NJ boardwalk in the sea, I chipped my HS ring on that roller coaster! We still have many people in the dark, and the weather is supposed to go down to the 20's tonight. Oddly, we had another 7 day outage with a freak snowstorm the same week in 2011. Gov. Chrisite told us both times he would have the power on in 7 days, when the power company told us 10. He kept his word both times. I'm a solid Dem, but he definitely is a what a politician should be--a steward of the people. He gets my vote next time! We just got internet service back, but I have to clean out the refrigerator, do tons of laundry, and we all feel shocky. Everyday is so hard when you must think of every little thing you do. I have tremendous respect for people who lived generations ago without all the conveniences we take for granted. One other thing--everyone treated everyone so well, so kind and with respect, something we don't usually see in NJ. I hope that continues and we consider how little interactions and respectful manners mean so much, at all times. I'm itching to read all my mail, but have to continue getting the house back in order!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm really glad that you and your family are safe and well, Jean. And I hope that everything returns to 'normal' for you soon. It is refreshing to hear that politicians, of whatever flavour, are doing the right thing and concentrating on helping people.

2. lrc7815 profile image95
    lrc7815posted 3 years ago

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.  There is so much tragedy from this storm.  I applaud your desire to create a shelter.  That's what real people do when faced with tragedy!

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 3 years ago

Actually Jean, this should be a lesson for all politicians; they are more likely to win the respect and trust of people when they act in a bipartisan way!

1. Jean Bakula profile image97
      Jean Bakulaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree Hollie, if the politicians were truly running for office because they felt they could do something positive for people, it could make a huge difference. I don't recall politics being so divided in the US until the 2000 election, when Al Gore won the popular vote, and the Supreme Court allowed one more recount, but didn't really allow enough time for it, handing the Presidency to George Bush. But this Presidential election has hit an all time low. We are able to vote, that was unclear at first too, but the electricity is back up. I'll be glad when the election is over.

I was out and about alot today, and people are recovering. The Jersey Shore will have to be rebuilt, and that's sad, it's been a big part of all our childhood and teen years. But Chris Christie showed amazing leadership, and worked well with Pres. Obama. They actually had Army helicopters fly utility trucks from other states to help us. We had guys from Utah and Virginia. Thanks to anyone who is a utility worker or has one in the family. Without you, we would still be in the dark and it's getting cold!