Which other sites should I write at?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. CyclingFitness profile image89
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

Having spent 18months on hp with some success I'm starting to see the logic in diversifying to other sites

Where do others recommend? I've had a look at squidoo and find the sports content to be far weaker than hubpages. Any other suggestions for where to write sports and health+ fitness content?

1. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

squidoo tip: If the content in one particular category isn't that great, that means your good content has a chance of climbing to the top and owning that category. This isn't an enormous advantage, but it is an advantage, since people browsing the categories will see (and rate?) lots of your lenses, search engines will see links to them from the category pages which may help them rank better, and it's possible your pages will appear more often in the "show related" box of the other pages in the category.

The bottom line for that site is: can you create content that people are looking for, and can you make it interactive, with links to interesting related resources, products, or sports pages that readers are loiable to click on? Big payouts on that site come through reader engagement and clickouts. (Or, alternatively, treat Squidoo's in-house payouts as a nice bonus, and make the bulk of your income through affiliate links like Amazon and Zazzle so that you keep 100% of sales commissions. A lot of Squidoo members make more money that way, although I don't.)

Different people have more earnings luck on different sites, but while I publish on four sites plus two blogs and have made a big push to diversify this year, Squidoo provides 80% of my not-quite-minimum wage. wink Surprisingly, since the September HP crash, my second-best earner is YouTube videos: I'd created a few educational videos and video product reviews to embed on my lenses, and forgot I'd monetized them, but now they're starting to pull a dollar or so of income a day.

Which just means there may be a lot of earning options if you think outside the box. For me, there's three criteria I look for when pondering places to diversify:
      -- Does it let you retain copyright, or does it claim the rights to your material forever, so that you can't delete and repost it somewhere else if the site turns out not to meet your needs?
      -- Are earnings paid as a one time payment (like Fiverr), or does content keep earning month after month, long-term? Ongoing earnings tend to be small amounts each month, but can pile up over time until you've built up a meaningful income stream. Whereas if it's a one-time payment, you have to start over every month. Nooooo, I'm lazy, gimme my passive income!
      -- How likely is the site to stick around? Do a little background research, if you can, to learn who started it, how likely they are to hold on, or at least how long the site has already existed. The longterm earnings strategy only works if the site is going to endure.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek is right.  If you're looking for a site that's already got lots of content on your topic, you're thinking back to front.  You want a site that's weak in your field, so you can become the "guru" on that subject.

Squidoo is probably the best from an income perspective.  It takes a bit more effort than the other alternatives, because they also have a version of the Featured/Idled process - which means you have to work to keep your Lenses active.  However it's not as harsh as the HubPages version.

Greekgeek has a good Hub on what's involved:
      http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/how-i … on-squidoo

Other sites to consider are Seekyt, Wizzley, Infobarrel, Zujava, Xobba, PubWages, ThisisFreelance.  They don't have any process to feature/idle articles, which makes them more "set and forget".

Good luck!

CyclingFitnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa and GreekGeek

It may be time to have a look at Squidoo although I fear that it will not be a big money spinner for me in terms of the tier system of earnings. Amazon definitely tho

Does anyone have experience of Demand Media- I know they provide for health and fitness sites like Livestrong.com

Well I've published my first lens on Squidoo under the name cyclistliam although really feeling let down by what I'm seeing on the site. It seems like it's just a marketing tool for amazon and ebay. The amount of content is shocking in many of the sports and fitness articles which really let down a viewer coming to the site for information

Many i'm looking at it wrongly again but if I search for information- I want information (with potential options to buy). Maybe the site will grow on me over time, we'll see. Otherwise it's a good potential backlink source

1. Will Apse profile image87
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Info often trips the dupe content filter on Squidoo so writers have learned to write a lot of empty words. It is hardly the writer's fault.

So the site has designed itself to be filled up with rubbish- and not information for a reader?

I imagine some people would disagree but you need to look long and hard for pages with any concentration of factual information. They like to talk about their 'originality pact' and say 80 per cent of the page must be absolutely original.

So either you write about something very, very obscure. Or you really stretch out some copy-writing to go with your ads. Or you might be able to whip up a gracefully written, magazine-style piece around one or two simple facts that people enjoy but is not not much good for info seekers.

I write for the money so I won't criticize the writers on Squidoo. I just think the institutional bias against data and facts is insane. Squidoo's super-powerful SEO is propelling so many poor, information deficient, pages to the top of the SERPs that Google could easily decide to hit the site with a manual penalty. Or it could just provoke more and more severe algo action against content farms (or user generated content if you think Squidoo is not a content farm).

I'm not against writing for money- but from what I see there is very little writing with regards to sports and fitness related content which is my main interest and passion- which doesn't always involve selling a product- often it involves selling a point of view or workout for an athlete to use which doesn't necessarily bring in a revenue from ad- clicks or amazon purchases.

I'm going to see how a couple of specific cycling training lenses work on there as to providing information- it may be that such levels of information are more suitable to what I already do here on hubpages

With regards to the SEO which has raised profiles of poor pages- can you see this strength crashing potentially over time?

This is Squidoo's 'lens of the day': httx://www.squidoo.com/skagen-men-s-titanium-black-mesh-watch.

I imagine lens of the day is designed to highlight content that Squidoo finds exemplary.

The two or three hundred words of text has one piece of info that you cannot find in the Amazon ad (wrist hair). Apart from that, it is an exercise in not saying anything that might trip a dupe filter.

If people are obliged to write for Copyscape rather than the reader this kind of page is one of the chief results.

And, yes, I would say that this kind of page does endanger a site. Fill a sub-domain here with similar and are guaranteed a visit from Panda.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In that case, you have two options:  you either stick to sites that pay per view (like the HP Ads program), or you concentrate on your own blog, where you can have a mix of helpful articles and sales pages (take a look at my website to see what I mean, there's a link on my profile). 

Personally I would strongly suggest the blog.  You have a subject you're both knowledgeable and passionate about.  It doesn't matte a d@mn whether other people already have blogs about the same topic - there's room for one more. PM me if you want some help getting it set up.

3. Drive By Quipper profile image56
      Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At which other sites should I write? Maybe you should stick around for awhile.

Thanks Drive By Quipper, I never said I'd be going away- just looking at options to diversify. I've been very happy here on HP but at the end of the day I would like to make some more money (the aim is to at least pay my mortgage each month) so it pays to have your hands in a number of different pies.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Cyclling, the reality is that these sites pay by views, adsense which is ridiculous. Not going to make lots of cash on sites like this, unless you make it from affiliate marketing sales. The only other way is to go to various sites where you bid for jobs, wait til a client picks you to write articles for them,

3. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 11 years ago

CyclingFitness - I wrote for Demand Studio for over a year - about 150 articles. However, since they got very, very badly hit by Google, they have had to rethink their entire strategy. They pruned down the number of writers by their scores for grammar and research skills. No-one with a double score under 4 could apply for certain publications (which then became just about all of them). My grammar score was 3.9 and research score 4.2. Probably because I am British and we had to write 'American'. Their criteria for joining is now very strict.

That's theraggededge

I've noticed from what it's seen on Livestrong the content is very well written- but doesn't actually tell the viewer enough information. Which is a real shame as their content ranks highly with google.

4. profile image0
    passion4fassionposted 11 years ago

have you heard
    my lot have you seen this site its amazing site you can write post photos join forum and discuss  things  you learn at the same time you earn money

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)