jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Etiquette Question....

1. Novel Treasure profile image85
    Novel Treasureposted 3 years ago

So if you are going through two sets of doors, like a vestibule or an entrance to a store that has two sets of doors...if someone holds the first set of doors for you and you say "Thank you" then as you follow them to the next set of doors and they do the same thing....do you/should you say thank you a second time as well.

I'm referring to more the scenario that the person went through the doors in front of you, but held them until you got to the door.

1. moonlake profile image89
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I always say thanks twice. If they hold open the first doors and there is a second set of doors then I hold the second set for them.

2. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 3 years ago

I always say "Thanks" and "Thanks again!" at the second door!  big_smile

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Best answer!

3. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 3 years ago

I think, for the most part, that people that hold doors for others do it out of politeness and not for any chauvinistic reasons so they don't expect or even require a thank you.  However, politeness should be met with politeness so the first 'thank you' can be followed up with a smile and a nod of acknowledgement.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 3 years ago

The second door was a favor as well, so a second thanks would be appropriate.

5. rfmoran profile image91
    rfmoranposted 3 years ago

I give it the full "thank you" for the first door, and just thanks for the second. If I'm in a good mood I will say: "Hey, you're getting good at this. Mind if I follow you around?"