How has your choice of topics changed since you have been on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

When I came to HubPages I had already been writing online for a couple of years.  I had been writing exclusively on one topic.  I had a Paul Bunyan size ax to grind.  I started out here writing on the same theme.  Over the last six months I have observed the writing of others and realized that there is a whole world of topics from which to choose.  Today I rarely grind that old ax, but instead look around and within to find fresh new ideas to communicate.  What has been your experience?  Have you changed in this regard since coming to HubPages?

1. Becky Katz profile image81
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I started out writing about my family and a few Social issues which concerned me. I am now branching into a little fiction. I love fiction but had never written any. I had never written anything except for school before I started writing here. I am learning more about writing and taking a few steps out on a limb to try things that I had never tried before.

cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it a blast to step out and try writing about new topics and in new styles?  HubPages has really challenged me to try different things.  All of the interaction we have here is tremendous.  Thanks for being part of my hubber world.

2. btrbell profile image87
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I have definitely changed what I write about. Like you, I started reading other's hubs and I have branched out into different venues. I am writing poetry and recipes which are new to me.

I know you are because I am reading a lot of it.  You are doing a great job expanding your range of topics.  Isn't it fun to be able to keep growing like this?

1. btrbell profile image87
        btrbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most definitely!

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

When I started, I had planned on writing exclusively about personal finance.  I thought the topic was pretty broad, as it would include subcategories of making money, saving money, investing money, etc.  Hence the user name, Millionaire Tips.  But about a week into it, I realized that I would be utterly bored always writing about money.  I have so many interests besides money, and the HubPages layout of the profile page (the old one more so than the current one) made it really easy to write about a lot of different topics.

So I branched out and included my interests, genealogy and quilting as well. 

I got bored with limiting myself to three topics as well.  Now I write about whatever I feel like writing about.  If I learn something, I try to share it with my readers.  I have been able to find many opportunities to learn about a variety of topics. I hope to be able to continue that.

That is a great story.  I came to HP with one topic and like you, I quickly got bored with that.  I have since done the same as you by writing about whatever interests me.  I just wrote a review.  That is new.  I even wrote a recipe.  Well, I deleted that one.  But this is a blast.

4. CrisSp profile image72
    CrisSpposted 11 years ago

My very first hub was about happiness. At that time, I was thinking of writing about inspirational and motivational stuff, mostly relate-able to our day to day lives. Eventually, I adopted a smörgåsbord of subjects to write about (even the how to) and I am now without a niche. I love it though, I mean the diversity of what I can throw in. It matches my belief: "Sky is the limit" in terms of being creative.

One thing that I get excited about is how much I learn as I work on an article.  If I had started this twenty years ago, I'd have a wealth of knowledge about everything.

5. Arielqiao profile image59
    Arielqiaoposted 11 years ago

After reading the discussing here. I think I also have to write something about various themes.

This could become a new niche.  Everythiing

1. CrisSp profile image72
        CrisSpposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Damn straight! Everything! Whatever you enjoy, eh?  Why not?

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

Well I had no clue what kind of thing would "work" here in the beginning.  What I learned was that I had a specific niche that seemed to land in my lap, and so I went after that for a while, and I'm probably making all the money I do make here from one definite niche (would be hard to miss from looking at my profile).

Nowadays though, I'm kinda back into experimenting to see if I can figure out other niches I might do well with. 

If it isn't fun, it isn't worth doing, really....unless your goal is to earn money...then ...oh never mind .Expectations matter, I guess.

I don't spend all this time in front of my computer for the money.  That is steadily growing, but I have a long way to go before that means much to me.  No, it is the fun of creating and the desire to be understood that draws me in.  Expectations, I have expectations, but not financial.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I always wanted...I'd thought, to be one of those people that make a living online.

I've about decided that is a very unlikely thing for me, but oh how I enjoy seeing my income increase online....it is really a lot of work to make decent income from this.

I'm not making what I'd call "a decent income" from this, I'm just paying my ISP and then buying someone or myself a gift here or there.

I've really decided I prefer to do skilled labor for money...but I'm not about to stop "this" either.

Currently...I'm more into doing short blogs on blogger.  I'm making next to nothing there....sometimes I just get burned out on Hubpages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)