I Hate Getting Spam and Being a Hubber Target

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

Guess there is not much you can do about this other than reporting it as spam to your server?

Soniya (via HubPages) to me
    show details 1:53 AM (7 hours ago) Reply

Soniya (affiliate@xxxxxx) has sent you this message.
    (email address not verified)

Hi Jerilee,
    My name is Soniya and I am the affiliate manager forxxxxxx
    I was recently reviewing my top keywords in some of the major search engines and I came across your top ranking Hub Page:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Introduction-to … -or-Ti-fer
    After reviewing your Hub, I found that we are both targeting the same demographic, though we are not in competition with each other.
    I have been studying this target market for quite some time and would like to present you with the opportunity to leverage your existing traffic and increase your income using our affiliate program. xxxxxx
    By working together, we have the potential to create an additional revenue source for both of us --
    without investing any money or even any time. Because we share the same target market, your customers are guaranteed to be interested in my product. An affiliate arrangement is a surefire way to make that interest work to our mutual benefit.
    I offer this partnership very selectively, so I would like to discuss it further before I can make any commitments. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity, please reply to this e-mail so we can arrange a time to discuss this further!
    I look forward to your response.
    Sincerely,
    Soniya
    xxxxx

2. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 15 years ago

Even SweetiePie received spam from Hubpages recently. I guess there has to be a way to avoid this sort of spam. Have you tried to forward the email(team@hubpages.com)  to look into it.

3. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

You are giving more publicity by putting the link to that scam site here.

Kindly Remove the website url.

4. Jerilee Wei profile image68

Good points.  How do I remove it?

5. Jerilee Wei profile image68

Duh!  I figured out to remove the links, guess I was having a senior moment on that one.

6. Elena. profile image85
    Elena.posted 15 years ago

Hi Jerilee -- I received the very same email from the very same address... didn't have a clue what it was about, but sounded pretty much like spam, so I just sent it to the spam folder and was done with it.  I guess there's not much one can do "against" getting that type of email but flag it.

7. Jerilee Wei profile image68

I now understand the proper approach is to report it to the team at Hubpages and just ignore it.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

It is not a spam, it is a serious business proposal

1. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Misha.  The letter is well written and I assume the affiliate produce mentioned in it had some connection to Cajun, music or similar.

The person wants you to sell their product - you add a link or similar to the hub which will include you affiliate ID - if some one buys the product you get a % - exactly the same as eBay or Amazon. You have the audience - they found you because your hub ranked well in Google for the same search term as you are targetting so they do know that you can bring interested customers to them. 

Now you may or may not be able to participate in their proposition because of the limitations of the Hubpages TOS - but if I was you I would be immediately setting up another site foccussed on the same topic to see if I could repeat the exercise!

9. Elena. profile image85
    Elena.posted 15 years ago

Is it now, Misha? Guess that proves I'm doubly ignorant!  Laugh!

10. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

The email I received the other day was an insurance scam and I just emailed team@hubpages.com about it and they replied with a thanks.  I think this is the best way to take care of these situations.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think I got that one, too. I've had a few different ones recently. I just delete them. Didn't think about emailing the team about it. I'll have to do this next time.

My favorite was something like 'Hi I'm so-and-so. I live in Africa (or something). Here's my email and phone number. Will you be my friend.'

It was from HubPages or at least had HubPages in the subject line.

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I got that one too.  Also, I got several emails with people asking me to be their pen pals and send money to their addresses.  I guess they thought my hub about how to find a pen pal meant I was a sucker for their ploys smile.

11. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I got a new one yesterday. It was sent as a reply to an email I'd supposidly sent and had hubpages in the title too somewhere with a subject of something like 'hubpages RE: leopard gecko' it was sent from a personal account on like hotmail or something.

The guy told me he has friends who have diplomas and had "bin" to the pet store and i'm cruel and an idiot. I just replied with i'm not sure what you're talking about and made a comment about his friends with diplomas not necessarily knowing anything about reptiles. Gave him my years of experience. He replied calling me a "stupid AMERICAN" and a bunch of other crap acussing me of improperly caring for my reptiles.

I thought it was pretty. Funny. He added that I'm 30 and he's 45 so he didn't need to grow up... Dude I'm 21 and whoop-di-doo he's 45 doesn't mean he's acting like an adult.

Anyone know where all the spam came from lately? I've never hada problem with it before...

12. Jerilee Wei profile image68

I wasn't having any problems with this until lately either.  Yesterday and today, I got some vile hate mail, over the hub I did that had to do with abortion.  They were totally off the wall of rationality and of course it was from one non-hubber, although they switched identities.  I guess it comes with the territory.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oooo. Now I have to go look.

Hate mail bites. I've done maybe one or two hubs that generated hate mail--it's so upsetting--but I have over 100 up now so I guess one or two isn't bad.

You never get used to it though.

13. shashigai profile image61
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

informative...thanks for the question and the replies

14. Jerilee Wei profile image68

Maybe I took it the wrong way?  I guess it depends on the reasons you write hubs and perhaps your take on affiliate marketing which for me smacks too close to multi-level marketing and involves too much trust and too much hassle.  I'll try not to have such a knee-jerk reaction to such offers.

15. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

I too agree with Misha and Lissie. The email sounded quite sincere and also quite a professional non-spammy approach. I would take them up on the offer, if your getting the traffic because your keyword is performing then obviously the author of the email has had some success and wants to share.

As an aside, why would anyone send an email to hubpage team reporting external emails they have received. What if you owned this site, what would, or more pertinently, what could you do about external emails being sent to your members?

1. hot dorkage profile image75
      hot dorkageposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I got that same email, worded differently and it mentioned a specific and real company that they wayted to affiliate me with. Like a turkey I replied to it saying tell me more.  It mentioned one of my hubs by name and the real company was actually related so I didn't even realize that it emanated from hubpages.  That is weird that almost the exact same wording would pop up on some other offer.  Anyway, they never responded back. All they wanted was for me to respond so they could harvest my email.  Damn! 

The way hub pages does emails is they allow whoever to email you whatever they want but they act as a proxy and relay the message to you without revealing your email to the sender.  The sender will only find out your email if you reply to them using your email client. That's probably really what they/re after.  So if somebody threatens to disembowel you, they don't know your email or your address or anything at least not from HP. 

Having said that, it would not be too difficult for HP to disable the contact feature for non members or let us configure whether we want anybody, just members or just fans to be able to use that form to contact us.  I'd limit mine to members because then we'd know who they are and we could hit them back.

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Which is why gmail and yahoo are such wonderful email providers - set up another email address just for slightly dodgy contacts like this-  for gmail setup Ithinkyouaredodgy @ gmail.com and then forward that address to your normal address - if you start getting flooded with crap - remove the forward and flag them as spam with gmail -)

16. Jerilee Wei profile image68

Thanks everyone for all the good advice, I'll have to mull this over.

17. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

It's probably legitimate, I've gotten it several times.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)