jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)

article thief

1. galleryofgrace profile image84
    galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago

Rainbow Streams on Blogger is stealing articles relating to  anything Native American.

1. TexasLadyJuanita profile image79
      TexasLadyJuanitaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Stealing articles / unique article ideas is running rampant on the internet. It is a sad day especially for up and comers.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That has been the case almost as long as I've been here.

HubPages is a high profile site with lots of new content being added daily.  It's a natural target.  I find my work elsewhere is stolen much less often.

2. glassvisage profile image83
      glassvisageposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If your Hub was copied, you should visit: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content
      In case you haven't yet filed a complaint

3. Alastar Packer profile image81
      Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the one-up on this galleryofgrace. Whats the best way to find Rainbow Streams?

galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do a google search for "Native American Colors", the first link is hubpages link to my article the rest are copies, some have links , some don't.
        Its a blogspot blog-rainbowstream

2. galleryofgrace profile image84

Just to let you know I demanded removal of my hub within 24 hrs.. I checked tonight and it has been  removed. My traffic is back for that hub. They stole a few hundred in traffic. It only shows in google search as my hub. ( I told them if it wasn't removed in 24 hrs. i would remove the whole blog!) It worked.

1. watergeek profile image92
          watergeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This happened to me, once, and I contacted their site administrator. They were kicked off the site, cause they were doing it to others too. In fact, you can pretty much guarantee that if they're taking yours, they're taking others, so you do everyone a favor by getting them kicked off.

3. Peggy W profile image91
        Peggy Wposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks galleryofgrace for the info about this latest thief.  Will have to check their site since I have quite a few hubs that have Native American sites in them.  Appreciate it!

2. Angelique Newman profile image61
    Angelique Newmanposted 4 years ago

I'm glad you caught them.  It's to bad there wasn't a way to protect our work.

1. aykianink profile image59
      aykianinkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So this is just a thing.  "Deal with it" is the answer?  I'm guessing we're supposed to police our own work and make sure no one is taking our work?

3. galleryofgrace profile image84
    galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago

Exactly- aykianink- no one else including HP is watching for copied work once it has been published.  If traffic suddenly drops on a particular hub then it has probably been copied and they are getting your traffic.

: - (

I decided to check my article again. Apparently they put my hub back up after a few days so I just filed a DMCA with Google!

Whoa.  Nice.  Good stuff.

4. Melovy profile image97
    Melovyposted 4 years ago

Another site to check is Janine Marcasa on Fanbox.com, especially if you write about blogging, iphones or other technology. This person copied one of my articles, so it's quite likely she has copied other hubbers. (Especially check if you had a HOTD in the last few months.)

5. midget38 profile image90
    midget38posted 4 years ago

Use MyFreeCopyright or Copyscape to protect your articles.

1. Melovy profile image97
      Melovyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Michelle, I had a look for MyFreeCopyright and apparentely it has changed owners and the new owner deleted accounts and doesn't respond to emails. The site is no longer considered safe to use. There's a hub about it by MyWebs called How To Use MyFreeCopyRight - My Free Copyright com.

I don't know how the law stands in the Philippines, but in the USA and the UK, copyright is automatic and there is no need to do anything about it - all you would need to do is prove that you were published before the copier and since our publication date is recorded by HubPages that should be straightforward.

1. midget38 profile image90
        midget38posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thnks for the update, Yvonne. Actuaaly, it should be automatic. Guess that doesn't stop thieves, though.

1. ElizaDoole profile image88
          ElizaDooleposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All you need to do with thieves of your content is contact google who can see who published the duplicate content first. Obviously this will be you. They will take down the thread and site and penalise the web administrator by blocking them from using the same details to start a webpage. It is mightly inconvenient for them if it happens so most folks don't steal now.
          If you want to go in a bit softer, you can contact the web administrator first and request they take it down. Sometimes, (if it looks like teenagers learning how to use the internet) I prefer to do that.
          I think what you have to watch now is the link builder sites. They link themselves to your title, eg elizadoole.hubpages.com and then create keyword backlinks which they sell to clients. Kind of like jellyfish tentacles riding your quality score for their own gain.

I go onto these sites after googling my hubpages site and seeing where it is appearing. I then nick their keywords that they attribute to me and insert them into my articles. So far it has doubled my traffic. But there's not much science behind this method, just the urge to fight back!

Could you explain this one a little bit deeper please?  "I then nick their keywords that they attribute to me and insert them into my articles."

Sure, they spam backlink to my hub because I have a good quality PR score. So when I follow the spam link, they've advertised my URL and connected a lot of keywords to it they recommend their client's adopt in order to drive traffic to their own site (and away from mine). So, if I adopt the same keywords they recommend totheir clients, I get the traffic back.
                At least, that's my latest theory smile If it is wrong feel free to correct me. I don't object to learning more about SEO and how to keep my traffic! smile

But now that HP has removed tagging, how do you use their keywords? In your subtitles?

I put the keywords in the text I wrote, not the tags, but I can see how that would have been a good idea.
                    On that, how do any of us ensure we get high cpc keywords now? Any ideas? Perhaps still do KW Google research and weave them into your content's first 200 words?

6. sparkleyfinger profile image90
    sparkleyfingerposted 4 years ago

How do you actually find out if someone is copying your articles? Is there a tool for it or anything?

Try this site and insert whatever title you want to check: http://www.google.com/alerts
      Then just do a regular browser search on your title. Also try entering an unusual combination of keywords or a verbatim phrase from a hub and do a search. I found the spammer mentioned above accidentally when I entered a title to see if my article was showing up on the search engines.

1. Wesley Clark profile image60
        Wesley Clarkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

First, galleryofgrace, it is really sad that someone steals articles and cannot create their own content.  Having said that, I wrote a hub about my own personal experience and how to detect and combat it.  Glad you found out and made us all aware!

working