jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Vehicle warnings

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 3 years ago

I'm driving my daughter's SUV this week. She's in Atlanta, and I'm using her SUV to take the kids around. My driving attention keeps being diverted by various warnings flashing on the dashboard:

low washer fluid level
    low tire pressure
    please check oil
    door ajar
    driver/passenger not secure (when the seatbelts aren't fastened)
    low fuel level

Should such warnings really be so polite? Wouldn't they be more effective if you were metaphorically hit over the head? Instead of "low fuel level," maybe it should read

"Hey, dumba$$ - if you don't get gas in the next few minutes, you're gonna be hoofin' it!"

And about the "driver/passenger not secure" warning. How does the car know I'm not "secure"? Does it have a license to practice psychology or psychiatry??

Whatcha think - do I have a future in auto design? lol

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No doubt about it, habee - you'd be great.

May I add that when you design these warnings that they be displayed on a Heads Up Display over the entire windshield?  Giant, 12" letters in screaming red or flourescent orange should get some attention.

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Great idea!

2. Waldo Numbly profile image61
    Waldo Numblyposted 3 years ago

I have Onstar so I get the same warnings via email.  Maybe I'll just hire an illegal alien to sit in the back seat and remind me to wear my seat belt, get gas, washer fluid, etc.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

lol  Creating jobs is always good!

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 3 years ago

Habee. . thanks for this post. . I so needed a little lighting up today.

Can you do me a favor when you do the re design, stop locking my door for me. Once my seat belt is fastened and the car goes into drive I hear that click of the locking. I feel like someone pulled a fast one on me.. .I swear sometimes I look around to make sure no one got in the car without my knowledge. If I want to lock my door I am a big girl and know where the button is!!!