"You Can't Say That on the Internet"

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago

" A BASTION of openness and counterculture, Silicon Valley imagines itself as the un-Chick-fil-A. But its hyper-tolerant facade often masks deeply conservative, outdated norms that digital culture discreetly imposes on billions of technology users worldwide.

"What is the vehicle for this new prudishness? Dour, one-dimensional algorithms, the mathematical constructs that automatically determine the limits of what is culturally acceptable.

"Consider just a few recent kerfuffles. In early September, The New Yorker found its Facebook page blocked for violating the site’s nudity and sex standards. Its offense: a cartoon of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Eve’s bared nipples failed Facebook’s decency test...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/opini … wanted=all

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I really don't think that these "deeply conservative, outdated norms" are really that at all.  Instead, they are a cold blooded attempt to provide a service that the maximum number of people will use and thus provide the maximum profit possible.  A purely business decision, in other words, and not an attempt to promote particular morals.

Pretty much the same as Google, Adsense and Hp does - make every effort not to offend anyone.  It doesn't always work - it can't possibly do that - but it's an attempt.

Finally, there is always the option to go elsewhere; it is not as if the entire web is forcing that ultra conservatism on all.  You don't like facebook; use something else or design your own social site.  It is 100% the right of the owners of facebook to determine what is on their site.

2. 0
    LikaMarieposted 3 years ago

What's crazy is, an eclectic picture like Adam & Eve is banned, yet a real 16 year old can show her breasts, and that stays up, for some reason.  I think the powers to be have lost their scruples.  And then a pedophile support group is also on facebook, and that remains up too.  I'm not sure if it's just plain idiocy, lack of sense or outright stupid.