jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

High traffic for a new blog post, but at a cost.

1. Sapper profile image73
    Sapperposted 3 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I made a blog post on my pit bull blog about Lilo and Stitch, 2 pit bulls that were taken from a family and were going to be put to sleep for no reason. For anyone who doesn't know the story, the basics of it are a family was Muslim, their neighbors didn't like them, called the cops on their dogs and the city took the dogs and were going to put them to sleep for no reason other than the fact that they were pit bulls. There is a lot more to the story, but this post isn't about the actual story.

So I decided to write on my blog about them to help send people to their site. Without thinking about it, I put Lilo and Stitch as the title. This is a blog that I'm not actively working on, it only gets between 5 and 20 views on any given day. However, within a week of posting that story, the post alone had over 400 hits. I was super excited to get this much traffic to a blog that I'm putting pretty much no work into at the moment, until I went and looked at the stats for it. People found the post looking for the movie, not the story of the 2 dogs, so it had over a 95% bounce rate.

Because of the really high bounce rate, my already low SERP's took a huge hit, to the point that I'm going to get less impressions this month than what I was getting in a single day before I made that post. So now because of that post, when I start working on that blog again I'm going to have to work twice as hard to rank it, all because of a poor title choice sad.

2. bulama2 profile image82
    bulama2posted 3 years ago

Hi Sapper,
    thank you for sharing the experience.
    I learnt something from reading this.

Sapperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Lol, well I guess if nothing else at least my misfortune can act as a learning experience for me and others.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

This illustrates one of the reasons some keyword and title research is so necessary.  I've come up with keywords before that the results of a search list sites that have nothing to do with what I was going to write about - exactly what you found.

It always pays not not only find keywords with good search results but to go one further and find out what google thinks that keyword means.  If that isn't what you think it means, better not use it.  Google is the dictionary, so to speak, of the meaning of keywords, not Webster.

Sapperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

More of a lesson on picking a correct title than keyword research, but a lesson learned either way. In retrospect, "Help save two pits in trouble" would have been a much better title. Live and learn I guess, at least I won't be making this mistake again.

2. viryabo profile image85
      viryaboposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is good to know. I just learnt something new today. Thanks

4. LetitiaFT profile image81
    LetitiaFTposted 3 years ago via iphone

This is a perfect example of points Thephoenixlives has made in his last few hubs. I finally get it. Your title has to be relevant to your hub content, but ALSO to the content web users are after when they search for those keywords. And to think these are just two of the variables we need to juggle in our poor little human brains while google has so many powerful ressources working on it!