Is DMOZ something hubbers can submit to, and is it worth it?

1. Thomas Swan profile image93
    Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago

I've been researching SEO, and some people still think it's worth getting your website into the DMOZ directory. Hubpages is a little different to a niche website, so can individual hubs be listed on DMOZ? I have many high quality hubs with scientific content that might get into the directory.

Also, is it worth it? A video posted by a google employee (on youtube) described DMOZ as still being a high quality link. This was a year ago. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a link there right?

Does anyone have experience with putting hubs on DMOZ?

1. That Grrl profile image79
      That Grrlposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I was an editor at Dmoz for 10 years. From what I have seen it is not being updated very reliably now. It's too easy to find link rot and listings which need to be fixed for spelling, punctuation, grammar. It looks like few people are still maintaining the directory.

I would find the best fitting category for ONE post - one which represents your niche at HubPages. If you look at the posts you've been writing you will see you do have a niche/ theme of some kind.

If you see that post get listed, great. If not, wait a month (yes, a month) and then try another post in a different category.

Do not get yourself or HubPages labelled as a spam site which ends up having a bad reputation for us all. At Dmoz they do block networks like HubPages from any submissions if they get too much garbage submissions.

It is REALLY important that you proofread your submission. Don't use excessive keywords and don't submit to any top level categories (don't dump your link somewhere and expect the editor will find the right place for you).

Some Dmoz editors are very diligent, keeping categories clean, tidy and updated. Some categories have no editor and no one checks them for ages. Sending a second submission too soon just makes you look like a mass submitter, even if you have only sent 3 over a whole year.

Dmoz may be unpredictable for submitting to but it's still a free link and the directory is still picked up by many other sites.

1. Thomas Swan profile image93
        Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the information. I think I'll try and submit one of my physics hubs.