jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Just for funsies - What are two words you get mixed up and shouldn't?

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

I used to get brother and boyfriend mixed up. Not their meanings, obviously, but just in speech. Mushroom and marshmallow as well, which was interesting when I was a barista asking customers if they wanted mushrooms on their hot chocolate

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 3 years ago in reply to this

then and than I continually get mixed up when I write.

2. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 3 years ago

I sometimes have problems with the words...observe  and absorb  when I  need to  speak them out loud  or is that aloud? wink

3. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 3 years ago

Right and left! Even though I know one from the other, whenever I give someone directions I always seem to say "left" when I mean "right" and vice versa. Embarrassing!

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

As an English/reading teacher I have often noticed how students get confused with except and accept and then with than...........................tongue

5. mybestreviews profile image87
    mybestreviewsposted 3 years ago

Mine would be Effect and Affect.

6. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 3 years ago via iphone

Effect and affect.  I think I may finally have mastered it. I'm supposed to have a good memory. A little brain fog at times lol

7. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 3 years ago

Reign in and rein in.  It makes me cringe when I read "He tried to reign in his tendencies..."

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
      ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's a good one! I'm not even sure I know the difference, obviously aside from the g

8. dghbrh profile image62
    dghbrhposted 3 years ago

For me it was personnel and personal till I start working at personnel department of my organization LOL. Then it shifted to effect and affect like it said above. But i am in the process to make it a habit to differentiate between them.

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image99
    Daughter Of Maatposted 3 years ago

Caviar and Escargot. I have no idea why, but I always get the two confused lol