jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Linking to Google+ profile Google Authorship

1. chrissieklinger profile image90
    chrissieklingerposted 3 years ago

I write for IBM Midsize Insider  and all of us recently established Google authorship which puts our picture next to our articles anytime they show up on a Google search. Is there anyway to link Google authorship with our HP articles?

The above link gives some information about it. if you put
    "how will obama's privacy policies influence" in a Google search you will see a recent article I wrote and how the authorship works.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Glennstok has written the definitive hub on this.

http://glennstok.hubpages.com/hub/compl … directions

2. SimeyC profile image86
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

You can add your Google+ account in your profile.

3. chrissieklinger profile image90
    chrissieklingerposted 3 years ago

I did that but Google Authorship is a little bit different and there is html code involved in getting it to come up as authorship.

1. Greekgeek profile image96
      Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hubpages' template automatically adds the necessary rel=author and rel=me HTML codes to our hubs and profile, once we've filled in our Google Plus url in our profile settings.

At least, it did the last time I checked. Hopefully nothing has busted during updates!

I see authorship info turning up in search results for some of my hubs but not others.

chrissieklingerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't see my photo next to my hubs on google searches. One of my hubs comes up on the first page of Google and other articles have author's photos but it doesn't have mine. I don't think linking the googl+ profile is the same as authorship but, hopefully HP will clarify.

1. pauldeeds profile image
          pauldeedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You can see what data Google is getting out of a Hub (or any URL actually), using their Structured Data Testing Tool:

For instance here is one of your Hubs.

Simply having the data correct is the first step, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Google will use it in the search results.  I'm not sure exactly how they decide, but it's up to them.

chrissieklingerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting. I am still getting used to all the tools Google offers and I guess no one will ever truly know everything about Google and how they operate smile

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 3 years ago

Oh, that.

I've asked about that bug myself. It started in about September.

Before that, authorship was pretty straightforward ... Link all your articles to your Profile on the site where you publish with rel=author, then put rel=me Links between your member Profile and Google profile, and between your Google profile and member profile. Hubpages automatically does the first two links, so we just have to do the last one to close the loop.

Except something's gone wrong. That worked fine for most of 2011 and 2012, but lately I and other people are seeing Google override our authorship info sometimes, especially if we link to a book on Amazon or to the website of some person with social clout. That person's author icon sometimes appears on our article in the SERPs.

Yet many of my other hubs and articles display my authorship correctly.

This has been happening not just on HP but on other sites where I write. We've poked HP staff about it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to poke them again!

I actually posted about it on Google's webmaster forums and got a "we'll look into it" reply from a member of Google, but I don't hold out much hope of getting any response from them until a lot of people complain about it. (I've also left comments on searchengineland.com hoping that one of their authors will post on it, because they have enough clout that they might goad Google to work on it.)

I dunno. Keep agitating; I'd love to see this bug fixed, whatever's causing it.

5. frugalfamily profile image81
    frugalfamilyposted 3 years ago

I'm not quite following how I "close the loop" Can you please elaborate?  They may be getting overridden because other authors have more clout..a Google thing, not a HP thing.  I think tey should do something about it because it can be reputation damaging.