jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Is there a way to keep a poetry Hub from going into Idle status?

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I mean, without going back constantly to edit it. It seems the poems are notorious for not getting traffic. I wondered if there's a way to keep them alive without having to constantly work on the Hub. It would almost not be worth it to keep them on here, might be better to delete them and put them somewhere on the Net where you can just keep them there for people to look at.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The question is, if you put them somewhere on the Net "for people to look at", who do you think is going to look at it?  If your poetry hasn't been getting traffic from Google on HubPages, then it won't get traffic from Google on your own blog either - and at least on HP, you can get some visits from other Hubbers. 

Google doesn't like short posts, and it can't tell the difference between poetry and an ordinary post.  That's why poetry does badly in search engines.   If you want to be successful with poetry, you need to take a leaf out of Pearldiver's book and add some context to your poems, like this:

NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I guess I meant just put it somewhere where it's not going idle and I can put it there for friends or family, without having to re-work it too much; not fond of re-working poetry, I know Walt Whitman did it a lot but I'm not into doing it; once I'm done with it, it stands. I don't mind not doing poetry here, I really don't mind, because it's not my focus; but I enjoy writing poetry. I don't see the point of putting them on my Hubpage though, when I got other articles that will get traffic and are more focused. Also, I don't let my idle hubs show up on my profile, so no one would see them here; I guess unless they've commented on them, only a few have; I had an alternate hub account for poetry, I only have one poem on this one, and I was planning on deleting them and putting them on Blogger. Kind of for the heck of it kind of thing. I'll check out that piece you posted a link to; maybe there's something more I could do. Thanks.

Okay, that's a good idea (I checked out that piece by Pearldiver). Add some decent text and keep the poem.

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 3 years ago

I enjoy poetry and would hate to see them gone but a lot are suffering the same as you sad I can only suggest maybe adding a 'educational or meditation' mix to your writing and interlink them.

I like those ideas. Maybe I can work them into my poetry Hubs.