jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

\i think I have done something very stupid

1. CASE1WORKER profile image83
    CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago

There I was just signed into HubPages and cicked on my earnings to see what I had earned today.
    All of a sudden a survey thing appears asking questions about how often I use Hp
    I duly fill it in and choose a phone and then the penny drops it is not a HP survey but an ad from the consumer association.
    I think I just clicked on an ad on my own account- what on earth do I do? Is this an HP ad?

Any thoughts much appreciated

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I haven't had that pop up.  But yesterday was wierd my earnings kept rising and dropping.  So far that hasn't happened today and my earnings are way up (for me anyway).

2. sharkfacts profile image89
      sharkfactsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry about it if it was an ad. We can all make the odd mistake and they know that.

What was daft was giving them your phone number! lol

Expect to get spammed to death now. Your phone number, especially your mobile, is worth up to £500 when it falls into the wrong hands. Hopefully it won't be sold on, but it could be.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

My guess would be that it is malware as there shouldn't be any pop-ups on that page.

I would suggest running an antivirus program.

I assume you didn't enter and details about yourself like your emails or password?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
      Marina Lazarevicposted 4 years ago in reply to this

pscheskinner is correct. There are no ad placements in My Account for these pop ups to spawn from, so it does sound like you might have a virus. Running an antivirus scan is a good start. Good luck!

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
      Marina Lazarevicposted 4 years ago in reply to this

**psycheskinner smile

3. CASE1WORKER profile image83
    CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago

it is from a consumer service group and refers to Hubpages directly- wow it is sophisiticated!
    Thanks for all the replies

4. seanorjohn profile image80
    seanorjohnposted 4 years ago

AVG is a free anti - virus thingy. Best of luck.

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In my humble opinion, AVG is indeed the best. cnet is a good resource for all of them.

working