Amazon Affiliate ID not needed for Amazon capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. DancingBells profile image59
    DancingBellsposted 11 years ago

For my first hub I asked my mom if it would be alright for me to do a review of her book. She agreed and I wrote one up. I intended to post a link from my hub to her book on amazon, however, upon further reading I read it is generally a good idea to have one or two hubs already posted before I try and apply for an amazon id. Does this mean I can not post a link from my hub to my mom's book on amazon? Should I wait to post my hub until I get an amazon id?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're confusing the advice for Adsense and the advice for Amazon.  You should be able to apply for Amazon now.

However, you can use an Amazon capsule even if you don't have an Amazon ID.   You won't get any commission on sales, but if your main goal is to advertise your mom's book, that probably doesn't worry you.

1. DancingBells profile image59
        DancingBellsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Marisa! I finally got up the courage to post my hub yesterday, but I am disappointed that after reviewing my page I did not see my mom's link? I clicked on an amazon capsule and added it to my page. I then looked up my mom's book on amazon, copied the url, and pasted it in my amazon capsule. I don't know what I did wrong and I am so confused! sad I have not applied for an amazon id yet, might that have something to do with it?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
          Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@DancingBells Sorry to hear about your problems linking to an Amazon product.  I looked at the one Hub you published and do not see an Amazon capsule.  There are two links in the Hub, but they link to http://www.hubpages.com and not to specific Hub content.

Here is general information related to the Amazon capsule:
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/amazon-capsule

Let us know if you are still having problems after reading the details about the capsule.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Edit your Hub and check to see that the Amazon capsule is still there.  Maybe you didn't save the Hub after you added it?

Your Hub is really too short.  Can you expand your review a bit?  Perhaps you can find an appropriate photo or two?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

You need to have an Amazon associate ID before you get commission from sale of book. Then set up your Amazon account with HP if you want to.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

She's not worried about getting commission, her main objective is to publicise her mother's book.

3. DancingBells profile image59

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your help! Despite my difficulties, knowing I have such a supportive group of hubbers is truly inspiring! I am very grateful! Well here's what I have discovered so far. My mistake was posting the URL where the product description was supposed to go. (Ooops!) I fixed the mistake but then encountered ANOTHER problem! Hubpages can not display the product because amazon is not providing a price! I tried entering the URL.  I tried entering the ASIN. I couldn't enter the ISBN because it's not displayed. Both yielded the same results: Hubpages can not display. I don't understand how this is possible as the eBook is clearly advertised for .99 cents. I'm going to try signing up for amazon id and hope that fixes the problem!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Signing up is unlikely to help.  This is a known glitch in the amazon capsule.

You can try again tomorrow, or you can simply put it in and hope for the best. Eventually it should work, especially if the product is relatively new to Amazon.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72

@DancingBells as @wilderness pointed out, this is a known issue on Amazon's end and is not related to you having an Amazon affiliate ID.

This is related to the API information that Amazon supplies and not to the prices listed on the site.  The are currently two issues on Amazon's side.  One is related to pricing and seems to affect ebooks more than other products and another is related to images.

Here is the existing thread relating to prices:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/106718

We implemented a workaround to deal with the lack of images for some Amazon products as well:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/106755

3. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Signing up for Amazon won't fix the problem. I've just discovered this bug myself and I've been signed up to Amazon twice as long as I've been a hubber.

4. Nursey profile image61
    Nurseyposted 11 years ago

I wish I could understand what you are all talking about here. Marisa understands everything. She is so clever. ♡ ♡ ♡

5. DancingBells profile image59

Thanks everyone! I mostly have it figured out now. I just posted two other books that my Mom has published. Sadly, not the one I did a review on, but something is better then nothing smile Anyway, I know this is off topic but I was hoping someone here could help me with another issue I am having? It's not really an issue, just a question. I have posted reviews of both the Hunger Games and Red Dawn. Do any of you know where I can get pictures of these movies without getting in trouble? I was also wondering, am I allowed to post movie trailers from youtube onto my hub? Thanks so much, I hope I'm not bothering anybody with my questions!

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are. Unless my information is outdated and my experience is superseded.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72

You can post YouTube and other 3rd party video content in Hubs using the video capsule.
      There is an entry in the Learning Center:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/video-capsule

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

First of all: You need an Amazon account to use the Amazon capsules here.

Secondly: You don't put the URL of page the book is on at Amazon.  You place the ASIN number in the capsule.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can use the product URL or the ASIN - both work, just preview the results to make sure wink

7. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I had trouble a month ago. The URL finally worked. It took many tries  on a product hub.

8. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I had trouble a month ago. The URL finally worked. It took many tries  on a product hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)