jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

When would I be considered an expert?

1. forouzan1353 profile image61
    forouzan1353posted 3 years ago

How many hubs should I have before being considered as an expert here?

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, first you might like to get some content that will stay as content. I would recommend a local restaurant review. How are the alligator steaks in your part of the world?

1. forouzan1353 profile image61
        forouzan1353posted 3 years ago in reply to this

lol! are you serious?

1. Will Apse profile image90
          Will Apseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My apologies. I was thinking you were, maybe, our troll from Florida. He is one of the most dedicated Hubbers around but seems to have disappeared recently.

2. aa lite profile image92
    aa liteposted 3 years ago

I don't think anybody really has defined what an "expert" is.   The important thing is not how many hubs you have but how much traffic you can attract.   One could probably just sit there and write 100 hubs in a month, but that would probably not make you very successful, good hubs need research.

My own (and this is purely mine) definition of a serious hubber, is somebody who makes payout ($50) every month.  Of course there are elite hubbers who make much more than this.  Also this does depend to how Google views the site as a whole, people's earnings have fluctuated widely.

Somebody who already knows how to write to attract traffic, knows how to choose the right topic and keywords can write 10 hubs and attract thousands of views a day.  Somebody who doesn't think about what people are Googling for, doesn't know anything about SEO can write hundreds of hubs and not get 100 views a day.  So it is really not about the number of hubs, but how much traffic you can attract.

3. forouzan1353 profile image61
    forouzan1353posted 3 years ago

Thanks, actually I joined only yesterday, and I came from webanswers, where the number of answers matters to become an expert.
    So here is more about quality and attraction rather than quantity.

1. aa lite profile image92
      aa liteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Welcome, I used to write on WA quite a lot as well, but don't do much there lately.

Yep HubPages doesn't really give out 'titles' the way WebAnswers does.  It does have 'accolades' for various things, 10 hubs, 50 hubs 100,000K views etc. but they don't really matter very much, they are just a bit of fun.

Obviously writing more hubs is better, but writing 'quality' hubs that attract Google traffic is the most important thing.  'Quality' for Google is not entirely the same thing as high quality, although you should obviously write good, well formatted informative hubs, but that does not guarantee getting traffic to them.  Figuring out the right topics to write on, and the right keywords to use is pretty important. 

There is a lot of stuff in the learning centre about writing successful hubs.  Paul E. (the boss) also sometimes shows up on forums to tell us what seems to be working site-wide.  I think his latest contribution was that longer hubs (up to 1200 words) that are media rich (pictures, videos, polls etc.) seem to be doing better overall.

One quick bit of advice, sign up for the HPads program, most people have found that they earn more through it than with Adsense.  Although I guess you might be wanting to beef up your adsense earning from WA.

2. leahlefler profile image98
      leahleflerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes - the quality and ability to draw traffic are more important than quantity here - I would focus on creating informative, original hubs in your particular niche. The Learning Center has helpful articles on title creation, keyword search techniques, etc.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/titl … or-traffic

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/long … ch-traffic

I hope you do well here! Good luck!!

3. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your hubs seem to be really personal, like blog, or even diary entries.  HubPages does not encourage "purely personal" posts.  See below, copied from FAQ: 

14.My Hub was moderated for being purely personal; what does that mean?

HubPages is not like a traditional blog site, where you publish journal-type entries. Hubs can contain some personal content, but should be interesting, useful, and easily understandable to someone who does not know you personally.

If your Hub has been moderated for purely personal content, we encourage you to make changes to your content that will make it more interesting to a general audience. If that isn't possible, you can always start fresh on a new Hub.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

You could write a million hubs and not get that title, it's by invitation, I think.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

To me, an expert is someone who knows a lot about a particular subject.  I consider myself an expert on the RV lifestyle because I have been involved in it my entire adult life and have tons of experience with it.  This is different than being somebody who does a little research and writes a few articles that make sense but may or may not give good information.  I saw that recently on an article someone wrote about selling your gold jewelry.  I am a precious metals dealer and found a number of serious errors in the article that, in the end, would misguide readers in several ways.  We have to remember that real people read our articles and make decisions, sometimes, based on them.  So if you don't really know about a topic, you shouldn't be writing about it.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I assumed OP was talking about the hubpages title 'expert'--not its colloquial meaning.

1. aa lite profile image92
          aa liteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There actually is an official "expert" title? I've never come across it.  I know there used to be "elite" hubbers but I thought that was discontinued.  And I thought it had more to do with their roles in the community rather than the hubs they wrote?

5. Mac Mission profile image60
    Mac Missionposted 3 years ago

To become expert one good hub is enough. But the thing is you need to be active hubber in Hubpages.