jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

backlinks, RSS feeds and other things i can't figure out

1. shashigai profile image60
    shashigaiposted 7 years ago

what is a backlink and can we use them here? i tried putting one on my profile page and it didn't work. i am not sure if it is a real backlink. i then tried putting it in my test article navigating hubpages and it still didn't work.

also, i don't understand the idea of rss feeds - what am i linking to (or being linked to) and why?

finally, what is the difference between tags and categories? some sites seem to suggest i use both and i don't see the need, especially if hubpages has groups.

2. Inspirepub profile image88
    Inspirepubposted 7 years ago

Groups are a private sorting method for you, the author. Nobody else knows what your groups are, unless you choose to display the group name in the navigation bar.

Tags are free-form, which means there is no guarantee that Hubbers will be consistent with them, making it hard to get good search results. Categories are pre-determined by the administrators, and people choose one. This limits variety and accuracy but creates a bit more consistency.

RSS feeds - http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Use-An-RSS-Feed

Good luck!

3. shashigai profile image60
    shashigaiposted 7 years ago

my main question is what is a backlink and are they allowed on hubpages?

4. 0
    multimasteryposted 7 years ago

Nothing wrong with Backlinks as far as I can see.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Effective-Link- … ray-Vision

5. redhair profile image61
    redhairposted 7 years ago

Hi, back links are links coming into your site or hub from another person from their hub, blog or website.  Look on it as link juice for your hub, site, blog or whatever.  The more back links you have the better..also known as in-pointing links.  Think of it this way-every time I link to amazon or another website they have another incoming link from me.  Google like these however keep it real, try to link out to sites etc which are on topic.  You can also ask people for reciprocal links where you link to them and vice versa, not as much 'juice' but helpful non the less.

RSS feeds if you click on someones rss feed button then you will receive the latest news from that hub, site etc.  Hope this helps, Eleanor