FORUM THREADS IN ALL CAPS ARE ANNOYING!

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I don't get why it is necessary. Doesn't mean they will get any more attention.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe you asked this.  I was wondering the same thing myself.   I was thinking that maybe these hubbers are simply trying to express    ENTHUSIASM & EMOTION??    Maybe he/she is not aware that it means you are YELLING!    Not everyone is up on the do's and don'ts.   It's kind of funny to me, because it makes me think there's a huge crisis or emergency somewhere.....and we need to answer immediately and with feeling!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL   Good question.

2. moneyfairy profile image60
      moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hear you!!! So true!!! Probably just attention getting smile

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. We are on an even playing field here and threads get attention if people choose to give it. No need to shout.

4. Lisa Luv profile image75
      Lisa Luvposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually from an artistic point of view ...I think it is very effective for certain things...

1. seanorjohn profile image71
        seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fair point.

2. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Text in all CAPS is effectively shouting on the web. Perhaps they are aiming their forum entries at older people? big_smile

SimeyC....HUH?   What did you say?  I'm sorry. Can you repeat that again in all caps?    Thanks.......and G'day to ys,   "An Older person."

2. moneyfairy profile image60
      moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SmileyC....sooo funny lol!!!!!lol!!!!!

3. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

IF THIS IS SHOUTING then you spend way too much time on the internet.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing like  some TANGY HOT REPARTEE to add SPICE to the conversation!

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95
        Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's how I interpret it in books and articles too. I would find it quite odd if there was a book in all CAPS, wouldn't you?

4. Lisa Luv profile image75

It is not shouting when you look at it from an artistic point of view...Sometimes I use it to give reverence and other times I think of it like block printing....

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

THEY CERTAINLY ARE!

fpherj48, DIDJA HEAR ME?!?!?!?!?!

smile

Agree completely, Susan.

Motown....Nice of you to be kind to the elderly.  Thank you.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I try, Effer.  Oops. I mean:

I TRY, EFFER!

smile

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

It's so nice to know that excitement, joy, and emphasis can be expressed in many different ways in the HubPages forums, without using caps lock - isn't it? And kind of fun, too, in my opinion.  smile  wink  yikes  big_smile  lol  !

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

YOU ARE TALKING TOO SOFT...CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen the hub on how to turn off your CAPS LOCK? quite funny...lol

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol-ly-lol-ly-lol! lol  lol   lol  !  !  !

I'll look for that Hub - sounds good.

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was tempted to flag it for being too short but I decided that people needed to read it and laugh. I am sure the culprits won't be reading it....lol

Found it, read it, and rated it. That's brilliant. Thanks for the tip, Cardisa

2. tussin profile image57
            tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for not flagging it!

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Aficionada!

lol

Thank you, M2C!  smile

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

Oh my, I should (but won't) edit that previous post. Italics, bold, and underlining all at the same time can make a post every bit as annoying as all caps.  sad

6. simpelandcheap profile image60
    simpelandcheapposted 11 years ago

I maybe one of the few people who doesn't get affected by all caps. I literally don't notice until someone says something about it.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Some people simply don't know. The ones that are annoying to me are the attack thread titles. Some are so ridiculous.

8. mega1 profile image77
    mega1posted 11 years ago

My guess is some people are too lazy to hit the shift key to capitalize so they leave it on ALL THE TIME!

9. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

I find many things annoying, such as:

The rich getting richer whilst the poor are getting poorer.
    The public sector getting the blame when the investment banking sector is at fault.
    The NHS being slowly privatised.
    Being lectured to by Eton educated idiots.
    The high and mighty escaping justice for financial and sexual impropriety.

Although I find the CAPITAL LETTER business mildly irritating, I can't get worked up about it. But I think you are right to point this out and hopefully people like gmwilliams will refrain from shouting. Such people would surely find that they would get more responses if they kept to the conventions.

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I am trying to find a forum that is just for fun... discussions among hubbers. I am having trouble navigating. I can seem to find individual threads, but not a way to get to the list of threads or even a way to start a new thread.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beth, you can click on any of the forum titles on the left of the forum page.  It will open to the various thread titles for that topic/category.  You will also see the start a new discussion button on the top right of the page.  Come on over to our dinner party thread,  you'll meet all kinds of hubbers out for some fun.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dinner party thread... ok, I will try to find it. It's funny, feeling like an expert on FB and blogging, then coming here and feeling like I'm straight out of the horse-drawn carriage age.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well unless the dinner party is human flesh, I can't find it. Is it on a different forum or did I just not look hard enough. How many forums are there on HP?

2. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beth. In the top right hand corner click on explore. then look down To the main title "Hubpages community". There you will see free form discussions. This is the place you need to be. However, some people suggest the religious forums can be a fun place to visit. Only kidding. Good luck.

11. profile image0

thanks so much!

12. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

ORLY COME ON PPL CAPS LOCK IS UR FREIND I DON'T KNOW WHY SOME PPL R ATTACKING MY GUD FRIEND THIS IS AN OUTRAGE U PPL SHUD NO BY NOW PERSONAL ATTAX ARE NOT ALOUD AT THE HUB WUT IS WITH YOU GUYS I MEAN WTH I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS I AM GOING TO GO SIT DOWN WHEN I GET BACK DIS CARP BETTER BE STOP I NO WUT IM TALKING ABOUT SO RLY GUYS COME ON DONT DO IT PLZ I BEG U

13. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

PS DONT FLAG TUSSIN HE IS AWSUM AN STUFF YOU WILL ANSWER TO ME IF YOU FLAG TUSSIN HES GR8

14. profile image0

I promise not to flag Tussin.

Ok, one more... I don't get notifications from the forums. Is there a way to do that?

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

THANK U

15. themadimadimadi profile image59
    themadimadimadiposted 11 years ago

Don't you hate when people have conversations with you and type in all caps? Makes me feel like they're just yelling. Then I feel sorry for them because they look like a jerk. wink
    I suppose making a forum thread in all caps is in HOPES of getting attention. Really it's just pestering.

1. Lisa Luv profile image75

UGH.... smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)