jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

My Q&A. A question about questions.

1. brimancandy profile image83
    brimancandyposted 3 years ago

I re-discovered the questions and answers area of HubPages, and, I found something that I feel kind of let down by. As in any question I ask that deals with a gay issue has to be reviewed, while other questions I ask sail through, even if the subject isn't really that important. I also noticed that questions with a gay theme have had their ads disabled. I would like to know why?

Do you also disable the adds on questions about marriage and dating or other hetrosexual issues? And,  is a questioned flagged by your filters just for having the word gay in it? I kind of find that insulting. So, did you filter the question about aliens seeding the ocean? Seems very sexual to me.

2. 0
    Bronwyn J Hansenposted 3 years ago

Hi Brimancandy. HP disable ads on all GLBTI questions, Hubs, etc. As a result, I write about life as a transgender woman on one of my other sites where they do not have an issue with the who I am.

3. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I was noticing my questions coming under review too. I asked one about education that went on through rather quickly, one about the legalization of marijuana (a purely political issue, the way I asked it) which is still under review, has been for couple days. I figured, at the time, they were being reviewed due to links I included in the post. But there does seem to be a political factor, about controversial subjects, and also an issue about ad servers. I don't mind, in a way, I can take my questions to other sites. Just felt that generally I get pretty good discussion here on this site, so I posed the questions here, plus I like the format of the forums here. But I think it's clear there's more scrutiny, so most likely I'll reserve my more serious questions for another site.

4. brimancandy profile image83

Thanks for your replies. I really don't see why my question was flagged. All I did was ask if people on HP found positive posts about gay issues good or bad. and without going the fire and brimstone route. Why is it so important to flag that? We can ask it in the regular forums. What's so special about answers?

5. Anonymous00 profile image79
    Anonymous00posted 3 years ago

I for one do not think that this site should be taking the liberty ... nor do they have the right - to filter or censor ones freedom of speech.

6. brimancandy profile image83

Unfortunately our freedom of speech is only limited to the government.  A private group, or company has the right to dictate what they want to anyone for any reason. The only way you can really get your freedom of speech heard (If it is totally silenced) is to sue in court. One reason why free TV is still censored, while cable will show whatever they want, any time they want. Which is not fair to everyone. Which is why I am not impressed with our so-called freedom. There is always someone trying to find a way to squash it, or take it away all together.

Here's one for you. When I worked for the Meijer Company. We were told that we could not work for any other company that was in a business similar to theirs, which would pretty much wipe out all retail, unless you wanted to be a real estate agent, or a car salesmen. You also could not talk about another company while you were on the job. Yet, at store meetings, all they did was talk about Walmart and Target, things that we were not allowed to discuss. If it was found that you were working for a competitor, no matter what job, you would be subject to termination.

The only thing this country is good at, is those that have, holding back those that don't who are trying to be the ones that have. Who will most likely always be the ones waiting. Unless they win the lotto.