jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)

Short spelling rant

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I have been seeing this all over Hubpages and Facebook and it drives me to distraction. It is Santa Claus... not Santa Clause... The Santa Clause was a movie.

End of rant.

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Plus, the pronunciations are different. With Claus is a semi-soft s and with Clause it's a soft z. We don't read to ourselves, if we did we would realize the magnitude of mistakes we make.

Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do have to admit I sometimes make that mistake and write clause but I always notice and fix it.

1. Cardisa profile image91
          Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We all make mistakes, but many of us don't edit them.

2. tussin profile image60
    tussinposted 4 years ago

Where do we stand on "Santa Claws?"

Santa Claws is okay... he is the cat Santa smile

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The cat Santa or Santa's cat? smile

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So who is Santa Paws? The canine Santa? smile

3. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

and what about using xmas vs Christmas tongue nothing wrong with using x-mas when it use to be spelt Xristos by the Greeks, their letter for 'chi' hmm

Yep, that argument irritates me smile Xmas was okay for most of my life...

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image94

I remember getting smacked at Sunday School (OK - it wasn't yesterday wink ) for writing Xmas on something or other. I was told it was anti-Christian. No idea if that's true or not...

1. duffsmom profile image59
        duffsmomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually the X in Xmas is not anti-Christian.  The "X" represents the Chi Rho which is a Greek symbol that represents Christ.  The appropriate symbol would be an X with a P in the center.  At least that was the original intent.

2. mathom profile image85
        mathomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They'd have to smack medieval Christian monks and early Christians for doing the exact same thing.

And I wouldn't be arrogant enough to say those two groups weren't Christian, since they built and perpetuated the faith that Sunday School teachers inherited.

1. RTalloni profile image87
          RTalloniposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's my understanding that they used the X because they revered Christ's name so much that they did not write the letters, a concept that escapes many who claim Christianity today. 

Judaism's history contains the same concept, as out of reverence the writer's did not (do not, perhaps) write all of the letters of God's Name.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94

Reply is to all who have commented - thanks.

All of your information is appreciated. I should have pointed out that in my case, the Sunday School was/is Scottish Presbyterian and things can be a little bit more strict than with other denominations, to say the least...

I honestly didn't know the significance of the X. I'm wiser today than I was yesterday. Thanks...

4. Judi Bee profile image88
    Judi Beeposted 4 years ago

The first "Exclusive" title I got was for the Christmas song "Santa Clause" - I was so excited I didn't realise until after I claimed it.  I did eventually prevail on the powers that be to change it for me.

5. emilgen2011 profile image79
    emilgen2011posted 4 years ago

hehehe well said UW lelz...

6. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

"Up on the housetop, reindeer paws..." no, wait... reindeer don't have paws.. it must be reindeer pause.

1. RTalloni profile image87
      RTalloniposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe the paws is a verb, as in pawing the roof?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
        Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In that case, it should be "a reindeer paws", assuming that reindeer, in this instance, is plural (-- because why would Santa Claus/Clause/or Claws be traveling with one?)-- it would then be "reindeer paw " which wouldn't rhyme with Claus or the other possibilities.

7. fpherj48 profile image81
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

HA!...Wouldn't it be wonderful if that was the only error we see in numerous hubs by far too many hubbers?  Some of the literal "garbage" ...as in spelling errors, grammatical errors, sentence structure....the list goes on.  Any and every way to totally slaughter our beautiful English language, exists somewhere on this site...of " WRITERS" (?)!  "Driven to distraction," is a mild reaction.
    After coming across several that positively stunned me, I decided to flag one that was a particular disaster.  I wrote a lengthy comment to HP along with my flag.  I will never do that again.  The hub remains in all it's illiterate glory.  If this is OK with HP, (that their site is represented by adults who have the audacity to call themselves writers, when my six year old grandson would do much better).....more power to them.  They have "rules," up the ying-yang, but apparently being literate is not one of them!!   Thanks, uninvited writer.  I really needed that rant.  I feel better.  I'm sure you do too.

8. brakel2 profile image88
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

Email me the username. If several flag it.then it will go away. It worked for me.

9. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"The White House makes two references to 'Santa Clause'"

http://now.msn.com/santa-clause-misspel … hite-house

That is sad

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was probably just some poor intern, who is now being tortured mercilessly by his/her coworkers. It will pass. smile

10. bankscottage profile image92
    bankscottageposted 4 years ago

Are all of you saying the people that use "Santa Clause" aren't write?

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We will not condon incorrec spellin.

working