I'm confused about the effects of editing a featured hub that does wel

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. WannaB Writer profile image87
    WannaB Writerposted 11 years ago

If updating a hub that is featured, say your best hub, a Hub-of-the-Day hub, a contest winner, or such, puts it into a no-index state until it's reviewed again, why would one want to ever update it?

I have such a hub that has an almost constant broken link symbol. Every time I've checked the link in the past, it works. But to check it, I have to edit and republish to get rid of the warning. And two days later the warning is back. Evidently the site it links to doesn't always load quickly enough for the robots checking it. However, if what I understand is true about going into editing mode sending a hub into pending, this hub would always be pending unless I remove that link, which does add value to readers, for whom it probably does work.

A couple of days ago I published a new hub which is now featured, but when I wrote it, I forgot that adding another photo it was too late to take that night would put it back into pending. Seems a shame to improve the hub right now because of that.

It seems HubPages is making it harder and less likely that people will want to update hubs to add value when doing so will take their hubs out of the search engines for a period of time.

Am I misunderstanding something?

1. Rain Defence profile image78
      Rain Defenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Once it has passed pending, editing it doesn't put it back into pending or add noindex.

2. Isabel Melville profile image84
      Isabel Melvilleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rain Defence is right. Editing a featured hub does not put it back into pending, although as you found, editing a pending hub means it stays in pending for longer hmm
      If your 'broken link' isn't really a broken link, you can just go straight to http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/broken-links from the stats panel and click to re-check. That'll remove the broken link symbol if the link is good.

WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I was not aware of that. I'll have to try it.

3. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm always changing my hubs and adding pictures including ones that are featured. It never hurts them and they don't go into pending. If I forget a picture I go ahead and add it.

4. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When a Hub has been updated and is Pending, it is not given a noindex tag and is still Featured. smile

It sounds like our broken link tool is being buddy with that one link in your Hub- sorry about that, and feel free to ignore it! Do keep in mind, though, that editing a Featured Hub won't hurt it. The only Pending Hubs that have noindex tags are those that:
      1. Have been published for the first time
      2. Were not Featured before they were edited

Hope that clears things up!

Thanks, Simone. It's always nice to get an official answer. I believe I can proceed now to do what I want to do.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

As I understand it, though, editing a hub does subject it to judgement by the Mechanical Turk rabble and thus puts it at risk of being downgraded and idled by someone with no education and probably no other form of expertise in the subject. 

I have new photos and new information that I could use on a number of my hubs. However, I am not willing to undergo this new process. I will wait until these hubs are idled for other reasons and then I will remove them from here, improve the content and place them on another site.

I also have ideas written down for over 100 new hubs, but am not willing to invest the effort in producing any of them while this situation continues.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"I will wait until these hubs are idled for other reasons and then I will remove them from here" - I'm just wondering why you don't delete them and move them now? (No I'm not bashing you and saying - move along!). Wouldn't it be better to try and establish them now elsewhere and take the 'hit' now rather than waiting a few months?

I have some hubs in a niche that I will be moving soon - not because they will become idle but because they are better suited to a full site - I'm trying to figure out if I should create new content for the site first, then move these articles once the site is established - or move them now and use them to establish the site! It's a dilemma I haven't really worked out yet!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I recommend going to Mechanical Turk and seeing how these hubs are rated.  Even if you don't want to rate them.  It is interesting to see the full table of the rating criteria

http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

and the samples of hubs at different ratings.

Together, these can help you evaluate your own hubs.

In order to rate hubs, you must qualify, and you must keep meeting the rating accuracy stats in order to keep rating hubs, so there are stops in place to avoid people can't or won't provide accurate ratings.

I have found that it doesn't take a lot of time to evaluate the rating for the hubs.  I actually do this for a living (give a standardized rating to writing assignments), and we have found that oftentimes doing it faster gets a better accuracy, because once you have internalized the criteria, you can go by your gut feel instead of analyzing each little detail.

In Mturk are only a few samples, and they don't answer all of the questions I have about how to rate the hubs, but they do provide a general idea about what is expected.

Thanks for that link. When I have time, I'll check it out, since that information would be helpful. Lately I've been focusing on writing for Squidoo again, but my last writing inspiration had HubPages written all over it, so I came back here to write it because it fit the only real niche I've carved out here. Deciding what to do with unfeatured hubs is the next project when Christmas is over.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I refer you to the link I posted above, from which I cite again:

"“Turkers” were less accurate than a simple machine learning program at the task of categorizing businesses as a restaurant or a clothing store"

If these people do not even possess the single brain cell and/or are not willing to spend the time needed to do the above properly, do you really think they are going to do a proper job on anything more complex such as judging writing quality?

3. WriteAngled profile image74

" A 2010 study published by the online reviews company Yelp found that “Turkers” were less accurate than a simple machine learning program at the task of categorizing businesses as a restaurant or a clothing store (see “AI Defeats the Hivemind”).

If you put something on Mechanical Turk, it’s easy to get cheated,” says Luis Von Ahn, a crowdsourcing expert at Carnegie Mellon University. The main problem is low pay. He estimates that Turkers, who are based mostly in the United States, make only $1 or $2 per hour. That’s a big incentive to submit nonsense or poorly researched answers."
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news/42 … algorithm/

4. WriteAngled profile image74

It takes a lot of time to move things, and time is something I am always lacking. What little of it I have is going on creating new material elsewhere at the moment.

I suppose I also hope that HP will see sense and reverse this mistaken policy of farming out critical tasks to people who have no investment whatever in this site at rates of payment that positively encourage slapdash work and/or gaming the system.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fair point - and probably the same reason why I haven't moved mine yet.

What I'd like to see (and requested it before) is 'ratings' of my hubs - this way we can give constructive feedback on how this 'system' is working - if it seems to be working well then that is a good thing - if as many suspect that it is giving wrong ratings then HP needs to know our views.

Without seeing the 'data' we cannot know how good or bad mechanical turk is - aside from external views of the system!

5. derek gulbranson profile image77
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

To address WriteAngled's point about variation of Turker ratings, we have a somewhat robust (but in active development and improving every day) system to assess the accuracy of our Turkers and kick them out if their ratings are not well-considered and accurate. To attempt to more directly address the issue of Turker assessment variations causing a Featured Hub to no longer be Featured, Featured Hubs enjoy a slightly lower threshold than newly published Hubs and require higher confidence in the rating to remove its Featured status.

So if a Hub was Featured, it's our intention that it's highly unlikely that it would loose it's Featured status due to simply noise in the rating system. But if you do notice something like this, please do point it out in the official bug report forum because we want to track it down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)