jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Source for Photos

1. EsmeSanBona profile image89
    EsmeSanBonaposted 3 years ago

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere...

Here is a photo source I have been using that I find indispensable:

Not everything on flickr is available for use, but there are tons of images in their Creative Commons.

Here's how to use it.  Please read to the bottom, because not all images, even those within the Commons are free.  Even those that are have requirements for use. 

1. When searching, don't use select Creative Commons from the front search drop-down menu.  You will find almost nothing. 

2. Instead, use the advanced search option by clicking on "advanced search" to the write of the search bar.

3. Once you enter your keyword(s), scroll to the bottom of the screen.  You'll find a "Search only in Creative Commons" option.  Check that box, and off you go.

4. However, you still must be careful when using those images.  Some of those images require payment for licensing.  The way to check is to select the image you are interested in, look to the right of the screen and scroll down until you come to "license". 

5. Most of the rights reserved there are quite simple--folks just want credit for their work and a back link to their photo stream, and the photo capsule has a place for both, so no problem.  Sometimes, if I am unsure about rights, I will contact the artist--flickr has flickr mail for doing just that. 

6. However, if you see a black circle with a "g" inside and a message that reads something along the lines of contacting getty images for licensing, then the image is not free--you must pay for its use.  I'm not really sure why flickr includes images that aren't free within Creative Commons, but there it is.

I love this site so much.  I hope others will find it helpful.  And if anyone would care to share their favorite image locale, I'd love it hear about it!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find Flickr absolutely indispensable, I never use anything else for my HubPages images.  Because it's such a diverse site, it's rare to find a subject that isn't covered, and you can often find photos which are quirky and off-beat rather than the same old obvious images.

EsmeSanBonaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Same here.  I used to scrounge through wikimedia losing my mind to find anything relevant and interesting. 

But flickr has everything--I especially love clicking the "interesting" filter to find the more unusual images. 

I have even written a couple of artists whose work I really admire and they have allowed me to use all their work, even that with "all rights reserved." 

It is truly awesome.

2. rfmoran profile image92
      rfmoranposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for writing this comment, and the details that you provide. I use wikimedia commons out of laziness, but a lot of the photos are not terribly good. I shall focus more on flickr thanks to this post.

EsmeSanBonaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome--you are going to love, love, love flickr.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm lazy too, which is why I don't like Wikimedia.   Not enough choices, and making the correct attribution can be a pain.