jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Wikimedia Commons

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image90
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago

Hi, everybody! I'm new here, so I apologize for being clumsy and, in particular, if this question has already been answered somewhere else in the forum.

I am wondering if it's alright to use images from Wikimedia Commons for our Hubs, provided the content is in the public domain? I have written online content for other sites and Wikimedia was the number one recommended source for pictures.

I'm still learning my way around this site and hope I'll be able to start writing soon. Looks like this is going to be lots of fun!

Thank you!

1. Judi Bee profile image87
      Judi Beeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes it is.  If you click on the "Use on the Web" button on the description page, you will be given the page URL and the attribution which you can copy and paste into the boxes in the image capsule on you hub - instant attribution smile

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image90
        LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much! I'm working on my first Hub right now and it will be good to add pictures to it smile

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not seeing either the button OR the "description page".

Help?

1. Judi Bee profile image87
          Judi Beeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The description page is just the page (if you find the image on Wikipedia, double click the image then click through to Wikimedia via the "Information from it's description page" link).  Once on that page, there should be a line of icons to the right of the image.  The second from the top is a globe and it says "Use this file on the web".  Click that and you should get a box ping up that has the info you copy and paste. 

Eg.  Go to "Queen Victoria" on Wikipedia - double click the happy, smiley face of the good lady.  Beneath her photo is this:  This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons. Information from its description page there is shown below.   Then click the link and do the above. 

If that still doesn't make sense, I'll do some screen shots for you.  (Just read this through - it probably doesn't make sense, does it big_smile )

working