jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Tags retired and traffic adjustments are not related

1. brajeev profile image82
    brajeevposted 3 years ago

The tagging system was cancelled by Hubpages, because of some spammers. And now I am experiencing significant drop in my Hub views. Anyone having the same thoughts. Please do share it here.....

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As several users have mentioned.  Tags being retired and the recent adjustments in search traffic are unrelated.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

The tags have been non-existent to the S/E's for months. They are not your traffic culprit... smile

3. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

There seems to have been an algorithm change on December 10 - killed my traffic and many others are reporting the same....

1. Cardia profile image89
      Cardiaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Same here - am definitely noticing a big drop in my traffic sad

4. sabrebIade profile image86
    sabrebIadeposted 3 years ago

Well you have to see his point of view.

Right after removal of tags...traffic drops.
    I myself said I'd wait a week or two after the announcement and see what happened to traffic.
    It tanked and HP as a whole started downwards according to Quantcast.
    And yes I know everyone is saying tags were not active for a year or more (which I wish HP had told me about THEN so I would have stopped messing with them!) but things like having a tag for "Blue Widgets" and seeing Google traffic come in for the search term "Blue Widgets" is going to lead some to believe that Google was indeed seeing the tags on the pages.

However, this would not explain why Squidoo (that still has it's tags in place) is dropping also, just not to the extent HP is.
    So you have to believe that tags really didn't have anything to do with it.

5. brajeev profile image82
    brajeevposted 3 years ago

I don't know whether it is because of the termination of the tagging system or the algorithm change. My views have dropped considerably, even though I don't get many views here. I had about 500-700 views a day, but now it is 200-300 views.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There have been recent changes in traffic from search.
      This has affected many other user-generated content sites and not just HubPages.
      We have implemented new features to the site in order to foster quality content.

If traffic is your goal, then writing long-form, in-depth Hubs will make it more likely for them to be featured and therefore more likely to be searched.  Sharing Hubs via social networks is another way to get more readers for your content.

You can find more information related to Featured Hubs here:

If you have more specific questions regarding your Hubs, it might make sense to email contact us here: