jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)

Excessive following will knock your profile score down to 1

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Just an fyi for someone I noticed (and who will remain nameless). And for any other newer folks who didn't know. smile

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for posting this. I personally don't have a problem following people but I do have a penchant for stalking very good forums posts.

Seriously, I also want to mention that spamming comments with your hub links is a very easy way to get that score to 1 as well. A hubber who shall remain nameless, very nice person but his MO seems to be leaving his links all over the place used to be in his 90s when I joined HP in 2011, is now a very prominent 1

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is indeed a very tacky thing to do. I wonder if redemption is possible in such a case.

I suppose if they behave themselves and be normal hubbers they may get back on track. big_smile

Another thing I also noticed is that following too many people with very low hubscores seem to lower your score as well. Polite following tends to do that too.

1. Violet Flame profile image84
            Violet Flameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hope I am "normal" enough, if a touch on a underproductive side, lol. Do you mean "polite following" can lower your score? Does that mean when you follow someone back after they follow you?
            The only thing that gets me a little is the ones that follow you and left you a fan mail that clearly shows they haven't read anything you wrote and probably don't plan to, lol

Yes, that's what I mean. Do a test......unfollow people you don't read, wait a day  and see what happens to your score. When my score fell to the lower 80s for no reason, I followed the advise of someone and unfollowed a few people including people with very low scores and inactive hubbers, my score went t 97 in 24 hours, a jump of about 12 points. It has stayed in the mid to upper 90s since.

Thanks for the tips Cardisa xoxo I will see to it right now! :-D

Your score is great, you shouldn't be worried about yours...lol

ha ha as far as I know, the score goes up and down like it has a mind of its own :-D

2. rfmoran profile image90
      rfmoranposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excessive following can also get you suspended from twitter.

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
        galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's unreal. I get an email everyday from Twitter with at least 5 recommendations of people i should follow, with a follow button on each one.

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
          galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Some of those that were recommended were following over 40 thousand so there's no danger for me anytime soon!

1. rfmoran profile image90
            rfmoranposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Twitter wants you to follow people but if you use one of those auto group follow services and get hundreds a day you can and will get suspended. A few a day is no problem at all.

3. Knightmare Golem profile image94
      Knightmare Golemposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm expanding pretty much like a turtle in that regard... so I don't think I'll be in danger of this myself smile

4. Louise Lately profile image88
      Louise Latelyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow I had no idea about that - not that I would follow an excessive amount of people, it's not my style. Thx for sharing!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Thanx for the tip...Sometimes it pays to be anti-social. big_smile

big_smile

HP doesn't get perturbed with frequent follows I think. But when someone blasts away with over 20 of them in 5 minutes, HP becomes very unhappy. lol

1. fpherj48 profile image80
        fpherj48posted 4 years ago in reply to this

As well HP should, in those cases.  It pretty obvious they're not following for the appropriate reasons.

3. ologsinquito profile image94
    ologsinquitoposted 4 years ago

This is good for the new people to know. I wouldn't have known unless someone else had pointed it out. One hubber did write a very fun article about how his score dropped to 1 because of this. But, fortunately, he seems to be back in the 90s now.

Yes, I also know of someone who made it back. HP believes in redemption. big_smile

4. ologsinquito profile image94

I wonder if it's the same person smile

Mine was a she. Long time ago. Alas, don't even remember her name anymore.

1. safiq ali patel profile image70
        safiq ali patelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

well what is excessive following. I don't think we're supposed to be on hub pages and not follow anyone. I try to read at least one hub before I follow someone. And I also these days try and follow people who have read my hubs or answered my questions.
        And if I like what a hubber has written in forums or questions i look at their profile and follow them too.

As far as I know, HP is fine with that. In fact, I just did some of that. smile

This is what can perturb HP:

5. Relationshipc profile image89
    Relationshipcposted 4 years ago

Yeah, I think it really just boils down to common sense. It's weird to me that the people who use things like HubPages improperly think that they are going to succeed.

"Yep, if I just follow 500 people today, I will get 500 followers."

I think people who do this type of thing don't have a good sense of what spam is all about, or more likely, they just don't care.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been followed by a few that were following thousands of people within a week of being on HubPages. They were obviously not reading that many hubs, just following to get followers. I never re-follow people who do that.

6. ologsinquito profile image94

I think most of the time it's probably done innocently, by people trying to be friendly. They have no idea they can their profile score, which is why it's a good idea for someone more experienced to post a warning. Otherwise, how would anyone know?

7. sparkleyfinger profile image90
    sparkleyfingerposted 4 years ago

This does my nut in! I only follow people who's hubs I am interested in. I saw someone who had joined 24 hours ago, no hubs, and following 246 people!?! Also, the people who ask a billion stupid questions in a bid to be noticed make me mad!!! Lol rant over! smile

working