FIXED: "show all comments" for hidden comments acts as home

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. cascoly profile image59
    cascolyposted 11 years ago

when an answer has negative feedback and you unhide it, you cant read the comments - when you click on 'all comments' it just pops you to the top but doesnt displ;ay anything more

for example

http://poetasdsigns.hubpages.com/questi … -need-god#

SwordofManticorE 's answer [which certainly deserves to be hidden]

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

please READ MY POST - i already clicked on 'show' - the problem is when you click on "see all X comments"  - that works for the other comments but not if the comments were hidden

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70

After testing on multiple machines and multiple browsers (Firefox, IE9, IE10) I was finally able to reproduce the issue using IE9 on a different Windows 7 machine.

I have sent this to our engineering team.

thanks - i think a common source of extended problems is that the tests done internally by HP are not the same conditions that users face.

long ago when i did consulting for tech support folks we always made sure that the computers they used were not connected in any way with the 'home' system so they could bettwer reproduce the experience of their users

I am in a different state than HubPages using DSL.  So my experience is probably pretty close to our average users'.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70

This should now be working properly.

Thanks for your patience.
      If you are still having issues, try refreshing the page and clearing browser cache.

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

Actually, Matthew, I had trouble with this on some questions too. For me, it was always the last hidden comment on the page that remained invisible. Hidden comments higher up in the answers operated as designed and planned. But at or near the bottom of the page of answers, the Show button acted like a Home button or link and caused a scrolling back to the top of the page without revealing the hidden comment at all.

It may have been a temporary glitch that resolved itself - I haven't checked to find out.

EDIT:   Nope, it's still occurring. Note, though, that it is not hidden answers we are discussing, but hidden comments, and the comments to the hidden answers which are linked in the OP are still operating as I described.

ONE MORE EDIT:  If it makes any difference, I am accessing HubPages on my iPad 2; that's where I'm having the problem.

@Aficionada

Is this related to all questions or a subset?
      If a subset, can you provide an example?

It looks like you might be using mobile Safari.
      We have done some recent work to better handle mobile browsers, but we are not fully there yet.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to an iOS device right now, but can get my hands on one to do further testing later.

You might want to consider a 3rd party browser for iOS as they allow showing the full desktop version of the site.
      I was about to suggest Firefox for iOS, but Firefox dropped iOS support a few months ago.

I have personal experience with Dolphin:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dolphin … 12023?mt=8

And Chrome might be useful as well.
      http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/br … e/ios.html

Hope that helps!

this is on IE9 - THE MOST USED browser anywhere

sorry for all the caps, but  this seems to be the usual HP response, dont read the original post  in full, then  first blame the user, then blame the browser -- only weeks or months later does HP admit [sometimes] ythat it was their problem in  the first place

Deleted

you replied but you didnt say you had carried out the steps to reproduce ther error have u done that yet? with what results?

3. Aficionada profile image80

Hi again, Matthew,

I think that cascoly and I actually were/are describing the same problem, just in different words. I added the information about my iPad in case it would help the engineers, if this matter were passed along to them.

I have tried to gather more information both on a desktop (using IE8) and the iPad, both signed-in to HubPages and not. A big holdup for me is the difficulty in finding answers that fit the specific criteria. I checked in the Religion and the Politics categories of Questions - assuming they would offer the widest selection of hidden answers with comments - and I narrowed my investigation to the questions that had the most answers. But I haven't found what I need, and I must now turn my attention to other matters IRL.

I did also try to use my browser History to track down the Answers where I first noticed the problem, but I haven't had success there either.

I'll try to keep my eyes open for further occurrences and I'll report them if I find some. But I will be busy with other matters for most of the next week, and so I may not be able to add to the conversation in any meaningful way for several days. Thanks for your replies, though.

Thanks for the helpful information!

Just so you are aware, when you come to this forum, we record the operating system and browser version from which a user posts.

Please let us know for issues posted to this forum, when the browser you are using to report the issue differs from the browser/OS you used to post the report, as otherwise we assume the info reported by your browser.

As stated above, I have forwarded this to our engineering team.

4. Aficionada profile image80

I'll add one more thing: as I reread my first post here, I realize that I did not describe the problem as clearly as I thought I had. It is true that my problem occurred near the bottom of the page, but that seems to be where the hidden answers were. 

To recap: it is the collapsed comments to hidden answers that have this glitch - the link that is supposed to uncollapse the comments works like a Home button instead.

I appreciate all the helpful information you supplied.
      I don't think this should take very much to fix, so hopefully we will have the problem resolved soon!

5. cascoly profile image59
    cascolyposted 11 years ago

works great!  thanks for following up on this

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)