jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

24 hour wait period

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 3 years ago

Published a new hub, and although it was an hour ago, it is now on my profile page. (yippee!). I not quite sure but I think maybe it has to do with me directly submitting url to google. I don't want to wait 24 hours for a new hub to show up on my profile.

Is it because of the url submit or did HP change things so that it shows up right away in profile page but not in searches?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Is it featured already?  HP has been working of shortening the pending period.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If when you do this:

And it says this:

"Show only Featured Hubs on my profile:
      What are Featured Hubs?
      Yes  No"

Then things have indeed changed.

But if it says this:

"Show only Featured Hubs on my profile:
      What are Featured Hubs?
      Yes  No"

Then you probably want to change it to "Yes".

[edit]Though submitting your url to google probably makes all that moot. If the noindex thing is still going on, no doubt google is going to know about it no matter what you do now. Some hubbers don't care about that, some do.

2. Louise Lately profile image89
    Louise Latelyposted 3 years ago

Wow thats quick!

3. Reality Bytes profile image95
    Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago

That is good news.  I am anxious to post some new hubs, traffic has been on the rise.  Yet, I just cannot go through another no-index fiasco.  I keep coming here to look for that announcement that in 24 hrs or less, our hubs will be viewed by the SEs!

My last hub was published a couple of days after this program implementation.  I still suffer from the frustration of it!  It did motivate me to grab a domain and create content for myself, but I do miss creating my hubs.  sad

4. derek gulbranson profile image82
    derek gulbransonposted 3 years ago

Submitting it to Google doesn't have any effect on how long it takes the Quality Assessment Process (QAP) to run. The Hub will have a NOINDEX tag until QAP has had time to evaluate it. As of last week or so we started Featuring things as soon as we have enough confidence in it's quality level, which frequently happens sooner than 24 hours.

1. janderson99 profile image87
      janderson99posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Why can't HP leave articles unpublished until the QAP process is completed - then publish featured without the NOINDEX tag. This is guilty until proven innocent. All this debate about the damage the NOINDEX tag does while pending would instantly disappear. Tell me why this would not be better and simpler  - or is there some IT issues.

1. derek gulbranson profile image82
        derek gulbransonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We've discussed it and continue to discuss it, but right now there's not much evidence that it's actually hurting anything. Our aggregate data doesn't indicate that, and of the Hubs that people have offered as examples, most have ever been crawled by Google so Google never saw a NOINDEX tag and that couldn't be a cause of Google not crawling them again. So far none of the examples disagree with our aggregate data. If we change our process to accommodate erroneous fears, it validates them in the mind of Hubbers and we'll have to deal with incorrect assumptions for a few years, so we want to make sure it's accurate. I think we'd do it in a heartbeat if there was more data indicating that it was a real issue.

Your 'crawled tool' shows that virtually all of my hubs get crawled while pending. My latest hub just came out of pending - it was crawled three hours ago.  I submit every one of them to webmasters to compensate when they get featured. Its a pain, but necessary.

Ah well, I don't undertand the logic. You have the data - What percentage of hubs get crawled while pending? You say it does not matter, well in my experience is causes delays in indexing, it matters to me.  Many people have said they have given up publishing on HP because of it.
          The end - I give up on that one. Cheers,

If hubs don't get crawled while pending, or it does not matter, why not reverse the situation - ONLY add the NOINDEX TAG AFTER PENDING to hubs that do not qualify. Over and Out!

1. derek gulbranson profile image82
              derek gulbransonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Our goal is for Featured Hubs to go into the index quickly, but not necessarily immediately. Typically, Hubs are more of a long-term investment, where it's more important that both you and HubPages retain the best possible reputation than to get everything into the index as quickly as possible. Generally speaking, if it takes a day or two that's fine because the real pay off isn't expected to come for at least a few months anyway, better to be safe than sorry. That's why we decided to go for the more conservative option making sure it's good before putting it into the index. Changing the way publishing works is no small undertaking, not something that could happen in the near term in any case.

Is there a reason you were looking to have your Hubs in the index more immediately? There's a kind of anticipation factor after you publish something, checking to see how it's doing, etc. That's totally normal and expected and I could see where it would create frustration. Just trying to see if that's where the need for immediate is coming from or something else?

Your Banana Cream Pie Recipe Hub is in the index now. Not sure if that's the one you meant. I guess for a real test you'd need to not submit it in GWT and see how long it takes.

No Worries!
                I often publish on current events and it is vital that they get indexed quickly otherwise I miss the boat. My other concern is that hubs that are not indexed are vulnerable to copying. The delays can be very significant - 3 weeks is my worst, and the average in the past was 3-4 days. To me the delay is a penalty for doing the right thing. Naturally everone wants to get their hubs out there getting traffic. HP used to be so good - you could expect to get a page indexed in an hour or so. Having to wait a day or two matters to me!!!!! Anyway sounds like its too much trouble. Cheers,

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I think the real issue is whether or not we get paid for that traffic we get doing that time.  We don't, right? If it ain't earning, I would rather it wasn't published.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
      DrMark1961posted 3 years ago in reply to this

For that first 24 hours, I do not Pin my hub nor tweet it. I only start sharing it with social media sites after it is no longer pending and has ads on it. Not the best solution, I realize.There is no reason to even have a hub show up on the feed until the pending period is over.