jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

"Discover more hubs" inappropriate to my hub.

1. innerspin profile image85
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

It's no doubt been said before, but the "discover more hubs" at the end of a hub can be irritating. My latest hub, about an inner ear test for balance function, is followed by three hubs about water, one for marijuana, one for weed ( not even sure if that's the same thing) and one for STDs. Where on earth do they tie in?  Not impressed!  Is there any way to change them?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I looked at your Hub and agree with you that they don't feel very related.
      It looks like we are matching primarily on the word "test".
      Unfortunately, you can't change these.
      I'm asking around to see if there is something we need to adjust how these are selected.
      I will let you know what I find.

innerspinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, they seemed pretty random to me at a glance, not really subjects I want on the page.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Join the club.... it P's off a lot of us..  sad

(In Edit Mode) Group your hubs and maintain at least five hubs that 'relate' to your chosen group... AND always enter the group that your new hubs relate to... prior to publishing and at the same time as you do your summary...

Good Luck..

Thank you. Will keep that in mind. Sometimes I'm impressed with how they link up other hubs, but not this time.

1. Pearldiver profile image87
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well do keep it in mind as it now holds more importance given the removal of our hub tags... it now becomes more difficult to drive traffic to your hubs, so linking YOUR hubs this way has its place... and may help you keep Your readers on Your pages, instead of having them pirated by other links... good luck..

3. innerspin profile image85
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

I will, appreciate your comment. I do have some groups but will add to them for sure.

4. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

Will grouping help with the "Discover More Hubs" section? I thought grouping only pertained to "previous" and "next."

It appears in this case that the "Discover More Hubs" algo has picked up on the word "testing" and is suggesting readers check out hubs on marijuana testing, STD testing, drinking water testing and other kinds of testing rather than suggesting hubs related to the category innerspin chose for the hub, which is "ear and hearing issues."

Several months ago I went round and round reporting this when it happened to many of my hubs. The algo was picking up one word in the title and applying it, regardless of the category my hub was in. I had all kinds of crazy hubs being suggested as further reading. There was always a shared word in the titles of the hubs, even though none of them were actually about the same subject.

I even requested that a hub be written for the learning center that would detail how the "Discover" hubs were chosen, so that I could do on my end whatever is possible to ensure that appropriately related hubs were shown in the "Discover" section of my hubs. Simone was kind enough to write one, however, as I recall the article didn't reveal much. I will have to go back and revisit it.

The problem was finally somehow resolved, but now I'm wondering if the removal of tags has started this problem all over again. I hope this is isolated, and to innerspin, I hope you get it resolved quickly. It took months for mine to get resolved.

SmartAndFun, sorry to hear you had so much trouble. My understanding also was that grouping showed up in the "next" and "previous."I've been a bit slow on grouping some hubs as my scatterbrain jumps subjects.

I'm pleased to see Matthew Meyer is looking into this problem. No sytstem will be foolproof, but these hubs linked to mine are way off mark. 

Thanks for your input.

5. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I submit that...

When the "discover hubs" are totally off topic, it increases the odds that...

A. Visitor is more likely to click on one of my group hubs instead.

B. Visitor is more likely to click on an ad instead.

Keep those off-topics coming in... big_smile

Always good to have a different viewpoint!

2. SmartAndFun profile image90
      SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is a positive way to look at it, Para. I will try to be more positive Unfortunately, I have lost views from this, but kind of in reverse. A very simple but delicious recipe of mine was formerly featured as related reading on a hub for a complex gourmet version of the dish. I got tons of hits off of that hub from people who probably did not want to go to the trouble to make the complex dish. When the algo got mixed up, my hub was replaced with some random automotive hub. My hub never gained that traffic back again, even after the algo was fixed. Ahh well. sad

Then there's the theory that Google downgrades pages with unrelated links. That really was my main concern at the time.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are right on both counts. Especially since I keep seeing on real-time visitors coming to my hubs from other HP subdomains. smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
          SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That realtime thing is cool. I wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't for you! I am trying to stay away from it because I'm afraid I'll get hooked!

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
            paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too late. You are doomed...

working