jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Include quotes in threaded forum discussions

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago

I view the forums in Chronological mode and always import and edit the quote I'm replying to.  Because I do that, I didn't think it was necessary to mention the name of the person I'm responding to.  However recently, I've had a couple of misunderstandings where people thought I was responding to someone else, or where they seem to miss the point.

It's only just occurred to me to check the Threaded mode and discover that even if I take the trouble to import and edit a quote, it doesn't show up in Threaded mode.  That's annoying, because often someone has written a long complicated post and I'm highlighting one particular point - if that isn't quoted, my comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. Simone Smith profile image92
    Simone Smithposted 4 years ago

With the way our comments look when they're threaded, it's clear (based on a post's vertical positioning) whether a post is in response to another comment. Would it not be redundant to include those quotes?

Are those instances in which you've been misunderstood instances in which your response was not posted as a direct response to those posts?

Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, I always use the "Reply" button and "import and edit quote", so clearly my response is always directly to the post in question.

Here's the most recent example:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107453? … ost2290653

Besides as I said, it doesn't cover the situation where I want to make it clear I'm responding to one particular section of a long post.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Looking at that thread, every post of yours clearly indicates what post you are replying to in both threaded and chronological mode.  Threaded mode does not, of course, indicate which part of a particular post you refer to, just the post itself.

Might you have a browser problem somehow?

I don't have a problem, it's the other people I'm conversing with!

Several times now, I've replied to a post, quoting part of the content, and either someone else thought I was replying to them, or the OP wasn't sure if I was replying to her.

At least one of them was a newbie who possibly didn't understand what the indent meant.  But that's still a problem because a lot of newbies are in the forums.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Gotcha.  Yes, I can where newbies might not get it right off, but it really shouldn't take long to figure it out.

I always use the threaded view, though, and it can be hard to understand which section of a post is being replied to.

Exactly.   Just recently I replied to a newbie and I broke down her post into several sections, addressing each one separately so she could follow it.  It never occurred to me that my breaks would be invisible - and without the individual quotes, my post is a lot harder to follow.

Like WriteAngled, I'm going to have to give up importing and editing and resort to copying and pasting.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

Here's an example of me quoting one sentence from a longer post.   If the OP can't see what I've quoted, he doesn't know what I'm saying "yes" to:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/106909? … ost2279069

I've been trying to find an example of where I've split a post up into sections and replied to each one individually, but I can't find the last time I did it.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

When I import a quote and edit it to show a phrase/sentence, I do this for a very good reason. I am amazed to find out from this thread that this does not show up in some forum views. From now on, I will manually copy and paste rather than importing and preface what I have pasted with "xxx wrote:"

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

IMHO the quote should show in both views. It seems efficient to a forum engineer, but to normal users always inserting the quote is clearest.

It's like the sign in my building lobby that says: doctors office: Room 300.  Whoever wrote that signs thinks it is 100% clear.  But I have people asking every single day where the doctors office is (answer, the third floor).

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

psycheskinner wrote:

"It's like the sign in my building lobby that says: doctors office: Room 300.  Whoever wrote that signs thinks it is 100% clear.  But I have people asking every single day where the doctors office is (answer, the third floor)."

It isn't clear at all, unless there is a further sign saying that the first digit of the room number indicates the floor. After all, there might always be 350 rooms on the ground floor.

As a UK resident, I would count Ground Floor, First Floor, Second Floor, Third Floor and get it wrong anyway lol

6. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago

Here's another example of a forum poster thinking I replied to her post when I actually quoted and replied to someone else entirely:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108503#post2308946

Clearly, she doesn't understand how the indents work.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think she clearly wanted to know which part you were referring to since timetraveler was referring to her previous post. She wanted to understand which part you meant. 

I usually copy and paste what I want to quote.  Sometimes I use import and export.  I don't use the threaded view, it's confusing to read.

Yes, I see that now - however it proves my point.   It does look like I'm going to have to copy and paste from now on!

HubPages should not have the "import and edit quote" option because it encourages people to think it's useful.

working