Who is your favorite artist? What type of music do you listen to?

1. illminatus profile image87
    illminatusposted 7 years ago

Hello all.. I am in the process of tailoring my hubs specfically to music albums that I purchase. I just wanted to know what songs / albums do all the hubbers out there have in your ipods?

2. 0
    Rainbow Briteposted 7 years ago

I will listen to just about anything, but you know we all have our favorites.  My absolute FAVORITE band of all time is Motley Crue.  Nikki Sixx is my man....look out Kat, if I ever meet him, he's mine!!!  lolz! 

I currently have five cds I'm playing....
    "Saints of Los Angeles" by Motley Crue
    "Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue
    "Dr. Feel Good" by Motley Crue
    "Scars and Souviners" by Theory of a Deadman (yeah I know I can't spell)
    "Mizundastood" by Pink

In a way, musical choice is sort of forced upon us lately (hence the reason I rarely listen to the radio).  You have your handful of channels, and on said channels you have (in no particular order):
    1) Country
    2) News/Talk Shows
    3) Rap/Hip Hop
    4) R&B/Jazz
    5) Christian
    6) Spanish/Latino
    7) Rock
    8) The "New" Stuff/New Releases/Top 40 (this one stands the best chance of being diverse because it may have the latest rap one minute then the latest rock the next)

Now, of these categories, let's say there are four channels of the variety of music you like.  You program these channels into your radio and one day you're driving, flipping channels, and it dawns on you.....103.5 was playing "Love lockdown" which gets on your damn nerves so you switch to 101.1 who is also playing it so you switch to 97.9 who is just finishing playing it so you switch to 96.6 who is announcing that they just finished playing it and are about to play "Mrs. Officer" which is even worse!  At this point, Dr. Rainbow prescribes a good old fashioned CD with your fave jams on it!

To speak about the social scene for a moment, if I may, we're kinda forced into musical domination there too.  I'm 22, so of course my favorite past times include drinking, clubbing, and dancing, and let me tell you, I don't know how it is elsewhere, but when I lived in TN, it was straight country.  When I lived in Chicago, what you heard depended on where you went, but the most happening places with the most people at them played rap/hip-hop.  Don't get me wrong, I love dancing, it's on my top 5 things I like to do, and I can see where a hip hop song may be a better beat to dance to than certain others, but I would like a lil variety in my music when I'm working up a sweat. 

The other problem that I have is something that my highschool english teacher sophmore year pointed out....product placement in music.  The first example to my mind is the one I used back then...the chorus of one of Nelly's songs (the title escapes me now) goes like this...
    me n mine. 
    If I turn it up a degree
    the secret's still kept,
    never let em see you sweat.
    Never let em see you sweat."
    There are many newly released songs that I have noticed this in as well, so it appears that the trend is in fact growing.  My teacher was under the impression that the artists got paid to put brand names, logos, phrases, etc. in their songs, and he was not the type of man to make a statement without knowing that he was correct, so I tend to believe him.

Wow, this is becoming a bit lengthy, sorry, I'll close now, good luck in your endeavor!

3. Earl S. Wynn profile image85
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

I also love a ton of different things, but I'm particularly partial to rock and electronica. The funny thing is that my favorite artist of all time is, without a doubt, Thomas Dolby.