Just saw a hubber with 10 million views

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

This hubber has 10 million views and just 15 hubs. He or she doesn't even bother explainining who /he she/ is on profile page. Writes about stuff like iphones. Are we all missing a trick. Do you think this person could be making serious dosh?

1. Californialaw profile image61
      Californialawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pretty sure I see whats going on

First of all, he's full of BS. Not sure what he's trying to build his hubpage for but basically hes ranking high for iphone 6 which, of course many apple lovers will enthusiastically search for.

Since it  almost looks like a real article, i'm sure lots of people read it through. If you see the comments it fooled a lot of people but anyone with any familiarity with apple would know they would never pre-release so much information- nor would they ever release a product in only the color red.

Even the photo is bogus and is either a 4s or 4 with the screen replaced with a red one. It only costs about $100 to do and when people realized how easy iphone screens were to break many manufacturers made fun colored screens as alternatives to the OEM ones. A lot of iphone shops in LA have been changing out the screen color for a few years now.

He's not a fantastic writer with some unknown skill or method we can learn from, he's basically writing about the mayan apocalypse because he knows people will search heavily for the information and will land on it- regardless if its true or not.

And since theres little information right now about the iphone 6 hes probably getting people linking to him referencing his article. But I mean even just reading his tone (and the fact that hes writing on hubpages and not a tech site) makes it obvious he was just trying to rig the system to get hits

Sorry, not trying to be mean or burst anyones bubble but the iphone article is a blatant fake. Although maybe a somewhat clever one for easy traffic and ad impressions

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's simply jumping on a trend.  I wouldn't call it rigging the system. There's enough info out that he can write this kind of article. Just because someone uses HP to generate traffic doesn't mean they don't have other sites that they write on.
          I've jumped on a trend before, and it's a great way to rank high and bring in traffic.  It doesn't last forever, obviously.

Well its the fact that hes blatantly lying in a lot of it that bugs me- not that hes writing on something thats very relevant. The whole red iphone bit...it could do without the *very* obvious lies.

Pointing to a converted iphone 4 and saying its a 6 is pretty blatant IMHO

2. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good on you for that...

It's just the same 'great' writing and traffic style that other incredibly blatant BS writers like ( writers dot HP ) - who have now probably passed the 100 Mil mark for scam hubs that were effectively written to rip off Google!  Of course, this sort of stuff shouldn't affect us at all... surely Google and co don't lump we 'real' writers in with dross do they???  roll

Because I Live is another with over 10 Mil and very few hubs.... but then working a niche and having malicious links on my stuff probably helped also... smile

Believe.... it's NOT all about good kw research etc.... it's been about the links that have been supporting the moggies and who the moggies really are!!  sad

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it could look as if the system has been played well.

I checked some of those hubs out. None of them are outstanding in their writing/ingenuity/originality etc.

None of them are bad, either.

They all suffer from a huge amount of backlinks, making them rank high in the search engines.

Just goes to show, the old ways still work, but if artificial backlinks were created to boost the hubs, then you run the risk of HP unpublishing your content, unless it is making them money.

We could all learn lessons from this!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
              Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't want to lower my writing standards and/or ethics to even consider such an opportunity to be such a moggy.... far too honest for that mate!  smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A CPM of just 4 would be 40K I believe...

3. profile image63
    cariegposted 11 years ago

That's just incredible. Can you post a link to one of their hubs? I'm sure we can all learn a lot from this person.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Bear in mind that even if he has only 15 Hubs now, he may have had many more in previous years.

After the first Panda update decimated HubPages' traffic in early 2011, HubPages made a LOT of rule changes.  Unfortunately they were poorly communicated, and introduced piecemeal.  The result was that Hubbers had to revise their Hubs multiple times, to comply with each new rule as it was issued.  HubPages set tight deadlines for compliance: if Hubs weren't fixed within a couple of weeks, they were unpublished.   Keeping up with those changes was difficult (if not impossible) for those with large portfolios, and many of our most successful Hubbers simply gave up, deleted their hundreds of Hubs and moved them elsewhere. 

I'm guessing the person you mention is in that category.  You're not allowed to link to your own Hubs in the forums, but it's perfectly OK to link to someone else's, so please do so!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure on this Marisa, because in the past when I deleted hubs I noticed their total views appeared to be deducted from my overall total views. I am not sure this is the case if you only unpublish them though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting!   I never pay much attention to my stats here, so I wouldn't know.

1. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've deleted scores of hubs Marisa and the traffic scores are deducted from the total

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Or it is someone who ranks high for premium search words and knows how to generate high social media traffic.
    Check out Clandestine who has 15 hubs with over 10M views.  His hub on the iphone 6 has serious social media traffic.

1. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes Clandestine was the hubber I came across. Perhaps he deleted many of his hubs as some have suggested.

It is more likely he either genuinely got the traffic on those 5 hubs, or that he has only 'unpublished' the others as opposed to 'deleting' them. If he had deleted them their total views will be deducted from his overall total views. However, that is not to say that HP will remove his accolade for 10 million views if he deleted the hubs, because I still have an accolade that says I have published at least 300 hubs, but I moved and deleted a number of hubs since I received that accolade, and now have well under 300.

2. aa lite profile image85
        aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His accolades only go up to "published 10 hubs".  I think the next accolade is 50, I am pretty sure that when you remove hubs it doesn't affect the accolades, so I think he's never had 50 hubs. 

The 10 million views were over 3 years, it just shows you the amazing potential of the internet if you know how to play the system.

6. Rain Defence profile image78
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Who?

7. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

If you look at the hub for the iphone that this seems to be about then you cannot help but notice how much social network promotion it appears to have received... tweets - 1,010, 11K Facebook Likes. It was simple to find by looking for a comment left by the OP on the hub.

8. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

Wow Misty, you really know your stuff. Hope things are going well for you. You write well and always give great advice and info.

lol, not really, I just learned this stuff as I experienced it for myself, a bit like learning to use a computer for the first time and the endless hours of frustration that go with it. smile

9. Jay Samson profile image58
    Jay Samsonposted 11 years ago

10 million views with only 15 hubs? That's so unbelievable. I would feel better about his "accomplishment" if it didn't involved shoddy article information.

10. MomsTreasureChest profile image85
    MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years ago

Wow!

11. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

He has a hub on how to cure Aids. That's good for a million views. How aggravating.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)