Proposed Art & Writing Category -- Tell Us What You Think

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. larryfreeman profile image78
    larryfreemanposted 15 years ago

As I mentioned in a previous announcement, categories are coming to HubPages.

Here is the planned breakdown of the Arts & Crafts Category:

Arts & Crafts (Top Level)

* Architecture (see Architecture in Science & Education)
    * Art History (see Art History in Science & Education)
    * Body Art
    * Crafts & Handiwork
    * Drawing
    * Graphic Design
    * Interior Design
    * Painting
    * Performing Arts (see Performing Arts in Entertainment)
    * Photography
    * Scrapbooking
    * Sculpture
    * Street Art

Here is the proposed breakdown for each of the above Arts & Crafts subcategories:

(1)  Body Art (2nd Level)

* Body Art (General)
    * Body Painting
    * Body Piercings
    * Museums & Exhibits of Body Art
    * Scarring
    * Shaping
    * Tattoos

(2)  Crafts & Handiwork (2nd Level)

* Beadwork
    * Clay & Ceramics
    * Fiber Crafts
    * Flower Crafts
    * For Kids
    * Glass
    * History of Crafts & Handiwork
    * Holiday Projects
    * Homemade Toys
    * Jewelry Making
    * Leatherwork
    * Metal
    * Mixed Media
    * Music Makers
    * Needlework
    * Painting Projects
    * Paper Creations
    * Sculpting (see Sculpture)
    * Stonework
    * Textiles
    * Theory & Analysis of Crafts
    * Useful Crafts
    * Wood

(3)  Drawing (2nd Level)

* Charcoals
    * Crayons
    * Digital Illustration
    * Famous Sketches & Drawings
    * Figure Drawing
    * Instructional
    * Pastel
    * Pen & Ink
    * Pencil
    * Perspective
    * Specific Objects
    * Tone

(4)  Graphic Design (2nd Level)

* Airbrush
    * Animation
    * Calligraphy
    * Clip Art
    * Commercial
    * Graphic Arts
    * Lithography
    * Printmaking
    * Recommended Books & Information
    * Silk Screen & Batik
    * Typography

(5)  Interior Design (2nd Level)

* Bed & Bath
    * Decoration & Ornament
    * Floors
    * Lighting
    * Painting & Wallpapering
    * Professional Interior Design
    * Style
    * Upholstery & Fabrics
    * Windows

(6)  Painting (2nd Level)

* Acrylic
    * Body Painting (See Body Painting Subcategory)
    * Eastern Styles
    * Enamel Paint
    * Famous Paintings
    * Figure Painting
    * Fresco
    * History of Painting
    * Illustration
    * Industrial
    * Instructional
    * Landscape
    * Oil Painting
    * Painters & Styles
    * Portraits
    * Still Life
    * Watercolor
    * Western Styles

(7) Photography (2nd Level)

* Black & White Photography
    * Cinematography
    * Collections & Catalogues
    * Color
    * Criticism & Review
    * Darkroom & Processing
    * Digital Photography
    * Equipment
    * Exhibits
    * Famous Pictures
    * Fashion (see Fashion category)
    * History of Photography
    * Instructional & How-To
    * Lighting
    * Nature & Wildlife Photography
    * Photo Essays
    * Photographers
    * Photojournalism
    * Portraits
    * Professional
    * Travel Photography

(8) Scrapbooking (2nd Level)

* Contemporary
    * Digital Scrapbooking
    * Ideas & Innovations in Scrapbooking
    * Journaling
    * Media & Materials
    * Media Preservation

(9)  Sculpture (2nd Level)

* Bronze Sculpture
    * Casting
    * Famous Sculptures & Artists
    * History of Sculpture
    * Kinetic Sculpture
    * Light Sculpture
    * Reliefs
    * Site-Specific Art
    * Sound Sculpture
    * Statues & Busts
    * Stone Carving
    * Wood Carving

(10) Street Art (2nd Level Category)

* Billboards & Advertising
    * Famous Street Artists
    * History of Street Art
    * Murals
    * Political Street Art
    * Spray Paint & Graffiti
    * Street Art around the World
    * Street Poster Art

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

sounds great

3. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

I'm a bit confused by the writing section -- and I promise I've read the other thread in its entirety.  My understanding is that these categories would be a big umbrellaesque tag?

What are the "commercial writing", "editing" and "freelancing" categories for? I'm actually confused about others as well, but didn't want to list them all! Are these categories meant for explaining how to do these things, or places to actually do them? I ask, because I can't imagine that many hubs existing for the first meaning, and I can't suss how someone would do the latter. hmm

An "advice" or "satire" category might be nice, or is that covered somewhere else? Under Entertainment/Humor, perhaps. Holistic health / New Age / Alternative Medicine were mentioned already but I very much like them. I would hate to see something like color therapy, or energy type healings placed under traditional medicine, as few people seeking info on them would ever look under a "medicine" heading.

Also I'd like to ask -- will there be an "easy" way to categorize hubs that are already published? I would hate to have to go through all of my hubs individually. yikes

larryfreemanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Isabella,

Thanks for your questions!  :-)

My assumption is that each of these sections be sections to talk about "tip/advice" on this type of writing.  The "freelancing" section would cover hubs on freelancing such as "How to Get Started with Freelancing, etc."

"Editing" would be hubs that talk about the importance of hiring an editor, discussion on what an editor does for a book, etc.

"Commercial Writing" can be removed.  I agree with you that it may not be needed.

I see "Satire" as humor so perhaps I should make this this more explicit.  I could retitle "Humor & Writing Comedy" to "Humor & Satire"

"New Age" is currently organized under Religion & Beliefs.  See Palm Reading & Tarot.  Perhaps, we need to call out "New Age" more clearly. 

As for your last question, we are working on a tool to make it as easy as possible to categorize hubs.  Fawntia is working on this and it will be ready when we push the categories out.

-Larry

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
        Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answers, Larry.  :-) I guess I'm just surprised that there would be enough hubs to bother having a category for a few those. How about a How-To section for writing? (how to write a CV, how to write a novel, how to edit, how to etc) Or would that go under something else?

BTW, Is there somewhere else that all of these subcategories are already listed? I don't see Religion and Beliefs...?

Hi Isabella,

Religion & Beliefs is found here.

You may be right about the subcategories to writing.  I'll think about it a bit more and should have an update on Friday or Monday.

-Larry

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

No, sorry, not happy with this at all.

You can't have "Performing Arts" under "Art".  Performing Arts have nothing to do with Art.

Now if you were to call it "ArtS and Writing" I could live with it.  But I think on the whole, it would be better to call this category Art & Crafts and avoid any confusion, and put Performing Arts under Entertainment (which I'm not that happy with but it's better than under Art).

Given the number of writers on HubPages, I'd have thought Books & Writing could be a separate category on its own, picking up Books from Entertainment and Writing from here.

Hi Marisa,

Thanks very much for your feedback!  :-)  I agree with you that Performing Arts is not a perfect fit in Art & Writing.  The goal here is really to find the best place.

Let me think about it more to see if Performing Arts has a better fit somewhere else.

-Larry

1. ajcor profile image59
        ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Larry - I don't much care for the placing of Art with Craft - Art is a specific form of expression and craft is a more general form - artists and craftspeople are usually two different species of peole each with their own style...therefore shouldn't be put into the one and the same  category..thanks

Hi Ajcor,

Thanks for your input.  :-)

I am planning an update to this category on Friday based on the inputs I have been receiving.

-Larry

5. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I am really excited about this Art, and Writing Category, it will be such a refreshing mix of hubs for everyone.

6. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I still think there should be an "s" added to "Art" ...

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do  too but do we have a US/UK usage thing here
      art = painting/drawings/scultpure etc etec
      arts = broader including dance and other preforming arts ?

Also I can understand you do the categories in American but is their some programmtic way that if people search for  humour they get taken to humor ? colour is another big one

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think both US and UK use the same definition, which means that if performing arts are in this category, it must have an S - otherwise it doesn't make sense.

7. aidenofthetower profile image68
    aidenofthetowerposted 15 years ago

I was glad to find the crafts section, but have a few problems with it big_smile. First of all...any hubs on the Arts and Crafts Movement(s) would fit well under History of Crafts and Handiwork. It seems a little redundant to have both categories and it also seems like Arts and Crafts Movement category would be really small...

Second...there is no Jewelry Making and or Beadwork categories under Crafts. You do have Jewelry under Sculpture, but only to send it to Fashion. I don't think that making your own Jewelry or doing Beadwork (which allows you to decorate a large variety of objects and not just jewelry) should fall into a fashion category.

Hi Aiden,

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I agree with you on your comments.  I'll move Arts & Crafts Movement under History and add more categories to Crafts.  I agree with you that Jewelry belongs more in Crafts than in Sculpture and it is different than jewelry in fashion.

-Larry

8. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

From my point of view interior design is a must! Good list though, would also recommend Street Art in there somewhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)