jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Updating Hubs

1. Matt Geer profile image61
    Matt Geerposted 7 years ago

Will updating Hubs potentialy increase traffic or get you on earlier pages of google? Also, do any of you do research of key words before writing a hub?

2. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Updating your hubs keeps them fresh, which Google tends to enjoy.

As for researching keywords, try to write less for keywords and more for information-rich passages.  Keyword stuffing is just ugly.  Doing your research as far as making sure your information is correct is always a good thing. smile

3. Matt Geer profile image61
    Matt Geerposted 7 years ago

So it's not a big deal if there aren't many key words for google so you get recognized? And adding or editing a hub that was done a year ago can attract new traffic?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you need your key words to be repeated often enough for Google to recognize what your Hub's about.  However, there is a thing called "keyword stuffing" - if you repeat your keywords too often, Google thinks you're trying to con it, and will actually rate you down.  There are lots of guesses around the internet on what percentage constitutes keyword stuffing.  I've seen people suggest that each keyword should be less than 5% of the total number of words - which seems low, but who knows?

Google likes content that is fresh and up to date.  If you include News capsules, eBay capsules and RSS feeds in your Hubs - all of which update all by themselves - Google counts that as updating, so doing updates yourself won't make that much difference.  Having said that, I do often go back and update my Hubs - not because the updating is beneficial in itself, but because I've learned something new about the topic, or about how to improve the Hub.

4. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

If it's well written, the keywords that people will naturally search for should already be present - at least if you're thorough on the topic.

And yes, updating the hub, revising parts that may not be pertinent, or even proofreading with a fresher eye can help revitalize your hub and get it noticed more. wink