Okay so I look at a LOT of hubs each day. I've noticed a couple things come up a lot. Could someone please let me know why?
1. Excessive Bolding... Not just a word or two... whole paragraphs. It's ridiculously ugly... it makes things difficult to read... and there is absolutely no grammatical reason why it should happen.
2. Excessive Underlining. Seriously. Whole articles? Why in the hell would someone do this? Is it a SEO thing? If so do you care so much about Google's opinion that you would make your reader want to drill his/her eyes out?
3. "Shouting" I see this mostly in religious and sometimes political Hubs. Really there is no reason to SCREAM every OTHER word. Do you talk like this? If so consider having your doctor write you a script for XANAX.
Trust in God but write in English.
4. 25 pictures before you get to the text. Come on... no one is going to read this. It's easier for me to hit the back button then to scroll down for 30 seconds.
5. Excessive Linking. If every third or fourth word in your Hub is a blue hyperlink you are either being overly promotional or overly helpful. Either way it is horrible to read and distracting as crap.
#3 made me laugh. Thank you! I agree with all of these, just maybe not as vehemently as you do.
I see this also. All you have to do is hit the report button and state the issue at hand.
Going back a few years, you'd have been told that Google noticed bold, italicized or underlined words more than unformatted ones. I can think of one prominent Hubber who wrote all her Hubs in bold at the time. So I think that's someone following very old SEO advice which will backfire on them big time, as Google now hates it.
The SHOUTING and Capital Letters on Every Noun is a sign of someone who's poorly educated and thinks it's necessary to emphasise words. I'm seeing more and more of those people on HubPages, where once we mainly attracted people who were interested in writing and were therefore more likely to be literate.
There are various reasons for excessive linking. One is that people get carried away when they discover HubPages suggests links - they assume that if HubPages thinks it's a good idea, then the more the better. The other is that they've read about the importance of backlinks, but misunderstand what they are (yes, really, I've come across a couple of people like that). And finally perhaps they do understand backlinking and interlinking, and are going all out to connect to every article they've ever written.
I figured it was some kind of SEO thing. When did everyone start not giving a crap about their reader. Geez if someone said Google liked it when you licked your computer screen would they all be licking their screen before they posted?
If you care so little about your reader that you actually don't give a crap what you are writing then you NEED* to be slapped by the search engines.
*capitalized for the sake of vague humour.
I'm in two minds over this.
I mean, I don't give a crap about my reader... obviously... but then I also don't use caps a whole lot.
Not unless it's not very funny and then I use THE F WORD in caps and that makes it better.
I don't bother with the linking thing much because I cba.
by DJ Funktual8 years ago
I will teach anyone, anything they want to know on how to make the best hubs if they can just expain to me what i'm doing wrong that they don't make any money. I'm betting that this is purely a computer knowledge...
by Jerrico Usher8 years ago
My new experiment:http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/8289is looking better every day, and in fact I am trying to figure out ways to help as many Huber’s as possible in this path so I decided I'm going to develop my site...
by Amanda S4 years ago
I have seen mixed messages as to whether or not this is legal. Please help me sort this out. Thanks.
by Andrew Orrell4 years ago
Ok, so since the Penguin update I have sat here listening to lots of Hubbers complain of loss of traffic. Now we're not talking a little fluctuation in numbers, we are talking 80% gone overnight! For people...
by Sherri6 years ago
Title of Hub in an HP rss capsule displays as "Spiders As Pets: A Beginnerâs Guide To Spider Keeping".Is this just a function of my browser? If not, can I fix it? If not, then what?(I think this may be an...
by ryankett7 years ago
Is the growth sustainable? When I arrived 4 months ago, we had 400,000 hubs. What is it now, 500,000? Does this site really benefit from people writing almost identical hubs on the same topics?When somebody arrives they...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.