jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Why do Hubbers do this? A rant.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
    MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago

Okay so I look at a LOT of hubs each day.  I've noticed a couple things come up a lot.  Could someone please let me know why?

1.  Excessive Bolding... Not just a word or two... whole paragraphs.  It's ridiculously ugly... it makes things difficult to read... and there is absolutely no grammatical reason why it should happen. 

2.  Excessive Underlining.  Seriously.  Whole articles? Why in the hell would someone do this?  Is it a SEO thing?  If so do you care so much about Google's opinion that you would make your reader want to drill his/her eyes out?

3.  "Shouting" I see this mostly in religious and sometimes political Hubs.  Really there is no reason to SCREAM every OTHER word.  Do you talk like this?  If so consider having your doctor write you a script for XANAX.

Trust in God but write in English.

4.  25 pictures before you get to the text.  Come on... no one is going to read this.  It's easier for me to hit the back button then to scroll down for 30 seconds.

5.  Excessive Linking.  If every third or fourth word in your Hub is a blue hyperlink you are either being overly promotional or overly helpful.  Either way it is horrible to read and distracting as crap.

1. ExpectGreatThings profile image89
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

#3 made me laugh. Thank you! I agree with all of these, just maybe not as vehemently as you do.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1   A worthy rant! big_smile

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I see this also.   All you have to do is hit the report button and state the issue at hand.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

Good rant!

Going back a few years, you'd have been told that Google noticed bold, italicized or underlined words more than unformatted ones. I can think of one prominent Hubber who wrote all her Hubs in bold at the time.  So I think that's someone following very old SEO advice which will backfire on them big time, as Google now hates it.

The SHOUTING and Capital Letters on Every Noun is a sign of someone who's poorly educated and thinks it's necessary to emphasise words.  I'm seeing more and more of those people on HubPages, where once we mainly attracted people who were interested in writing and were therefore more likely to be literate. 

There are various reasons for excessive linking. One is that people get carried away when they discover HubPages suggests links  - they assume that if HubPages thinks it's a good idea, then the more the better.  The other is that they've read about the importance of backlinks, but misunderstand what they are (yes, really, I've come across a couple of people like that).  And finally perhaps they do understand backlinking and interlinking, and are going all out to connect to every article they've ever written.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I figured it was some kind of SEO thing.  When did everyone start not giving a crap about their reader.  Geez if someone said Google liked it when you licked your computer screen would they all be licking their screen before they posted?

If you care so little about your reader that you actually don't give a crap what you are writing then you NEED* to be slapped by the search engines.

*capitalized for the sake of vague humour.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 3 years ago

I'm in two minds over this.

I mean, I don't give a crap about my reader... obviously... but then I also don't use caps a whole lot.

Not unless it's not very funny and then I use THE F WORD in caps and that makes it better.

I don't bother with the linking thing much because I cba.

4. A Driveby Quipper profile image62
    A Driveby Quipperposted 3 years ago

What's really bothering you?