FIXED: intermittent photo upload failure

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (69 posts)
  1. kschimmel profile image73
    kschimmelposted 11 years ago

I tried to upload pictures for a new hub, but got a white box with an "X" instead of my pictures.  I haven't had this problem before.  Anyone else have problems on New Year's Day?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There seem to be intermittent issues uploading images.
      The preliminary anecdotal evidence makes it look like it affects Internet Explorer more often than other browsers.
      This has been forwarded to our engineering team.
      In the meantime, you can use the non-Flash version to upload files one at a time if the image fails or you can retry uploading the file.  This doesn't appear to be related to file types or size in my observation.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had this problem today but didn't have it the other day when I was adding photos to another hub.
      I got the photos on but I had to keep uploading them. It's fine to upload again but we shouldn't have to do that.

I totally agree.  We have forwarded this to our engineers so they can look into and address the issue.
        Thanks for your patience.

3. breakfastpop profile image63
      breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water, my photo  disappeared. I can't upload anything.!

Are you getting an error message?
        Does the problem persist if you use Firefox (current stable version is 18)?

1. breakfastpop profile image63

I am getting an empty box with an X in it.

Sorry to hear you are having problems loading images.
            It appears you are using a version of Safari that has no upgrade path.
            I strongly recommend using Firefox (18 is the current stable version) as I believe that Google has also dropped support for Chrome in the OS X version you are using.
            Please let us know if you have problems with images in Firefox.
            If you are dead set on Safari, then I would recommend upgrading your operating system (assuming your hardware supports it).

1. breakfastpop profile image63

People who are having this problem use Firefox, so it's not a Safari issue. This is really getting to be frustrating. Help!

2. MissJamieD profile image57
        MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I uploaded each of mine two or three times and it would work on that last try. Hope that helps:)

3. Matthew Meyer profile image73

I just got an update that we pushed out a fix for this issue.
        Wanted to let people know.

If you are still running into this issue please read the following links before reporting any further issues.
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99079

1. Faith A Mullen profile image80
          Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the fix! I was having this issue before, and did not experience any problems yesterday.

4. JyurriOukan profile image62
      JyurriOukanposted 11 years ago

I had this problem a couple try. Just refresh the page and try again.

5. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 11 years ago

I've been having the problem for a couple of days.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I've had this problem from time to time also. It is frustrating.   Sometimes, just waiting for the picture to show up helps.  Other times reloading the photo helps.

7. kschimmel profile image73
      kschimmelposted 11 years ago

Thanks, I looked today and the photos I thought were not there were there now.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I've had this issue off and on for several months.  I use firefox.

9. psycheskinner profile image83

I use Firefox and have this problem.  I click to upload, it seems to but the thumbnail is blank and when I close it the picture has not loaded.  If I retry enough times it will eventually work.

This issue has been sent to our engineering team to be addressed.
        I will do some more checking on our end  to see where we are on a permanent solution.
        Thanks for your continued patience.

1. Robie Benve profile image95
          Robie Benveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I see you are working on this already but just fyi I use Firefox 17.0.1 and it is a continuous hit or miss uploading photos.  Few go through all right, but most get that white box.
          I keep re-uploading until I get a box with the actual image, and sometimes when I look at my picture files the day after or so I see all the multiple images actually showing in my folder!
          It's frustrating, I hope you fix it soon.  : )

Sorry for the inconvenience.
            I too hope we will have a solution soon.
            In the meantime, you may want to try to upgrade your browser to the latest stable version.  Firefox released an update recently to Firefox 18.  I don't think upgrading will completely address the issue, but it might make it occur less often.

1. Tech Golem profile image69
              Tech Golemposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of the things that I've been noticing when I've been uploading images is that the images are actually uploading to the server, but not everything has updated instantly like they have in the past and the images are not showing up in the preview.  When it brings up the preview image along with the source and comment fields it just shows a broken image sign in the box, but to the left when looking at the upload progress of the image it does show  a check mark indicating the upload was successful.  It was only after 15-30 min that the image would progress through the system and properly show the image.

I'd be curious if this is true for the others that have had problems uploading images in this thread, and if letting the images sit for a while or pre-uploading them to your gallery while writing your hub and putting them in at the end would minimize the impact.

1. aviannovice profile image85
                aviannoviceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have seen a number of hubs today missing pictures, mostly the lead ones.

10. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I just had this problem.  It seemed like it resolved itself after a few minutes, or at least it began to load properly in the My Photos section and was easily inserted back into the text.   I'm using Chrome, by the way.

11. purplmama profile image60
      purplmamaposted 11 years ago

Yes, I've had this issue recently. I agree with several of the replies here: I use Firefox and I've received an empty spot where the image should be, with the usual source underneath. It does seem intermittent, since it resolved itself after I went back later and tried it again.

12. aviannovice profile image85
      aviannoviceposted 11 years ago

I have been having trouble with this for WEEKS.  Now I am at the point where it is taking well over an hour to get pictures on a piece.  My browsers are fine, it is in the HubPages system.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  I have forwarded the additional information to our engineering team.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's what I'm seeing on the Hub Pages feed.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7655435_f248.jpg

Within the last few minutes.
        Peg

Thanks @PegCole17.

That appears to be a different issue than the photo upload issue.
          I just checked my feed using Firefox in Windows 7 and didn't see any broken images.
          Is anyone else seeing broken images in the feed?

1. PegCole17 profile image94
            PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Matthew,
            Must be a regional thing. I know it'll get fixed soon. You have your hands full.
            Thanks for your response.
            Peg

3. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 11 years ago

It is still happening for me as well. It's been on and off I would say since December. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries before image loads, then it's fine. I'm not a tech person so I don't even know what it means to check that stuff like Firefox. So because I know it won't last, I just work with it and keep it movin'.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I am using Firefox 18.0.1 which is the latest version and I am continuing to have issues as well.  Since this causes us to upload the same photo more than once, it uses up more server space and bandwidth time (look at me trying to act like I know what I am talking about technologically), which possibly causes even more problems.  It is frustrating when trying to write hubs especially ones that have several images.

1. aviannovice profile image85

EXACTLY, Millionaire Tips.  I usually do at least 10 photos or more on my birding columns, and I have my material prewritten.

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I can't even upload a photo now. I just keep getting the white box.

I wonder if there is a way we can delete all those extra uploads... the photos have to be stored somewhere and I'm sure their taking up valuable space....

6. aviannovice profile image85

I just hit the x on the white box.  Should we be doing something else?  The whole thing is irritating, especially when I do so many pictures.

7. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

This is affecting uploading profile pictures too. I just tried to change mine and I'm unable to upload a new pic.

Now I'm stuck with a grey background because I can't upload a new one... UGH!!!

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having uploading images.
          I just tested uploading an image using Firefox 18 and Windows 7 and was able to do so successfully. Is every upload you try failing?  Is it a particular file type or size?

Does by-passing the Flash uploader " Check this box to upload photos the old way, without Flash" allow you to successfully upload images?

I have already forwarded these recent problems to our engineering team, but the more details we have the easier it will be address.

8. Natashalh profile image74
        Natashalhposted 11 years ago

I've been having issues today and it's really frustrating! I've tried with the latest Firefox and versions. Some of my pictures from the same upload worked fine, some of them I've tried half a dozen times and still can't get them to show up!

You browser is showing you are using Safari in OS X 10.8.2.  Is the image issue related to Firefox in OS X 10.8.2?  If so, what version of Firefox are you using?  You should be able to use the non-Flash uploader to bypass the problem in the meantime.

1. Natashalh profile image74
            Natashalhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, osx 10.8.2 uploads aren't really working. Firefox 18.0.1 on osx wasn't working for me, but I just got the photos to work on a windows machine using chrome.

Then you may want to see if you have the latest version of Flash installed on your OS X machine.
              You can find this and other browser troubleshooting steps here:
              http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems

Pay special attention to the "Keeping Adobe Flash updated" section.

1. Natashalh profile image74
                Natashalhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I updated it Sunday, but I'll give a check!

9. purplmama profile image60
        purplmamaposted 11 years ago

AAAAHHHGGGG!!!!! It's happening again today! I'm going to pull my hair out.... HP, what's up with this??  I'm using FireFox.

10. aviannovice profile image85

This really is getting old.  I have an updated Adobe, use Chrome, but went elsewhere a few times.  It is still a problem.  3 or 4 tries to load pics?

11. profile image0
        Saire Schwartzposted 11 years ago

So, after doing a quick glance I didn't see anything regarding my particular issue.

The "Profile" background images... custom ones... are not loading either. If I select a default HubPages one, it works but my custom background only shows an X like all the other images.

Thanks!

12. Gail Meyers profile image64
        Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

I had to upload one photo seven times today before it actually uploaded.  It is a known issue.

Thanks to everyone for your continued patience.
          This is proving a hard issue to reproduce and diagnose.
          We are doing some research on our end to determine if there is a good alternative to the Flash uploader we currently use for upload via the photo capsule.
          It takes longer if you have more than one image, but the non-Flash uploader seems to bypass these upload issues.

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Matthew, I don't if this will help, but a hubber I follow uses a lot of images.  He has several in this hub but I can only see one.

http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/My-Hot-Aunty

I can upload a screen shot if you can tell me how.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
              Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol...

2. Matthew Meyer profile image73

@Motown2Chitown I looked at that Hub (http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/My-Hot-Aunty) using the same OS and browser you are using (Firefox 18 in Windows 7) and I didn't see any missing images.

You should be able to use the Snipping Tool included with Windows 7 to take a screen shot.
              http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind … pping-tool

You keep your snipping tool away from my Aunty...

1. profile image0

LMAO

If she's THAT hot, I might not be able to help myself, Mark.  tongue

Matthew here you go:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7659683_f248.jpg

Thanks!

The image issue affecting this Hub should now be fixed.  The original issue for this forum thread appears to still be on-going and we are working to resolve it.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
                Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't able to see all the images on Mark's Hot aunty hub.

Does clearing your browser cache and/or refreshing the page make any difference?

Someone else has also complained.

About not seeing the pictures that is.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
                    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Refreshing? No.
                    Clearing cache and then refreshing? No.

I am using latest version of Firefox and Windows Vista.

thanks for the details.
                      I am unable to reproduce the issue, but it sounds like there are multiple users with the issue, so I have forwarded the info to our engineering team to see if we can get tot he bottom of the issue.

Just to let you know, the images not loading on a Hub issue does not appear to be related to the image upload issue.

1. profile image0

Oh, and I tried refreshing, clearing cache, cookies, etc.  Even restarted computer when I finished.

No dice.

2. aviannovice profile image85

Matthew, I think if you try to publish something and add multiple photos, you'll encounter the problem.

13. Sphinxs Sanctum profile image60
        Sphinxs Sanctumposted 11 years ago

I too had this issue today & it happened many times in a row.  Finally, I closed out the page & came back to edit again - then it worked fine.  Not sure what the dealio is with that.

14. Anthony Trister profile image60
        Anthony Tristerposted 11 years ago

i had that problem today but its working now smile

15. sabrebIade profile image81
        sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

Cannot upload pictures.
        "The server is not responding as expected."

1. GinnyLee profile image86
          GinnyLeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I got the same error yesterday for about 30 minutes.

16. topclass profile image58
        topclassposted 11 years ago

Try uploading 2 images at once - then delete the one you don't want.
        Seems to work better, with less failure.

1. sabrebIade profile image81
          sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That works!
          Nice workaround topclass!
          Of course...why do you need a workaround for a problem, that's "FIXED".....?

17. psycheskinner profile image83

For me, the problem has stopped occurring, thanks.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)