Low or High Competition Keywords

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Learning in Life profile image86
    Learning in Lifeposted 11 years ago

I'm having an issue deciding what keywords to go after. Most of the lower competition words I'm not as interested in and it takes me longer to write since I'm not enjoying. But, most of the things I'm very interested in are harder to rank for but I can pump out hubs on those subjust easily. So, do I go for the articles I like writing but probably won't rank for or the ones I know I can rank for but don't enjoy as much?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is your ultimate goal?  To write, to be read or to earn?

If it is to write, write what you enjoy.

If it is to be read or to earn that requires traffic, which in turn requires being ranked on at least the first page.  Best write what you can rank for.

Learning in Lifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My ultimate goal is to earn but I'd like to enjoy it too

2. chefmancave profile image73
      chefmancaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have spent much energy and programming time to the endeavor of Keyword research for writing articles. I am by no means a expert but I have analyzed keywords with many different methods. I use the Adwords Competition rating to tell me how hard it will be to get an article in the top 5 of Google. I use KEI (Keyword Effectiveness Index) to determine the amount of traffic I can expect to receive over time. I like to keep my Keywords under 10,000 Global Searches. I then use an "Article Rating" (My own invention) to determine the best Keywords to use in my title of the article and what Keywords to focus on throughout the article. My two best examples are the "Best Golf GPS" and "Top 5 Animated Movies" articles. Both articles achieved a top 5 Google ranking in less than 1 month. They both average about 70 hits per day from Google. They both average about 5 orders from Amazon per month.

3. That Grrl profile image74
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read about copywriting rather than shoving keywords in for the sake of making your reader gag on them. If you have done well in writing the post you should have enough keywords naturally in the content. If you write for Google you aren't writing for people who will actually read your post. At that point, what is the point of writing at all? Just stuff a ton of keywords together, they don't even have to be complete sentences or use punctuation. Google may rank your post high, but Google doesn't actually read it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

How are you deciding what the competition is?

The competition column in Google Adwords reflects competition by advertisers, not by writers, and isn't relevant.

I was using the competition column of Google Adwords. I didn't realize that is what it referred to. So how can I find out the competition of writers?

Search for your keyword and see how many results are returned.

Then look at the first page results; are they from dot gov, retail sites, Youtube or other authoritative sites?  If so, you'll have trouble ranking.  Look to see how many have your exact keyword in the title - the more the harder to rank.

2. chefmancave profile image73

Google's Competition rating does have a small bit of relevancy. If you choose a keyword with a lot of advertising competition that usually means you will  be competing against websites that have a huge budget and resources devoted to SEO optimization. With that said, I still try occasionally to compete for a tough Keyword. My success has been poor.

3. profile image54
    mcxniftycallsposted 11 years ago

If you search and dig more you will find many low competition "Long Tail Keywords" which is easy to rank and get in search results. Try to find Long Tail Keywords ( A Sentence or Phrase of 6-10 words) related to your topic and write article about, you will definitely get hit from Google search.
    For me even High Competition keyword getting awesome traffic from Google as HubPages is already a high page rank website.

1. chefmancave profile image73

You are absolutely right. That is why I created my "Article Rating Index" system. I have thousands of phrases in spreadsheets relating to different topics. Most of the terms or phrases have low ARI scores. I would estimate that less than 1.5% of Keyphrases have high ARI scores. If you are interested in opening a discussion on the ARI method, send me email to chef@chefmancave.com

4. rfmoran profile image70
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

Following HP guidelines in the Learning Center, I try to shoot for low competition keywords with 500 to 40,000 hits a month. That said, If I have an idea that I simply have to write about, I will sacrifice and go with it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read that article in the Learning Center.  How does it tell you to assess competition?  If it's using the competition column in Adwords, then I'm seriously worried at HubPages' staff's competence.

Marisa, look at my earlier post.  That comes from the AP course, which I think comes from the learning center.  Add that we should look at videos; it's increasingly hard to compete.

No numbers for what is a reasonable number of competitors: I try to keep it under a million, won't go over 10 million and am ecstatic at less than 100,000.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If that's the case, then I'm relieved. I'd still like the OP to confirm what the article said - there's an awful lot of articles in the Learning Center and some of them are outdated.  I'd agree with you on the number of competitors, though I always find the numbers scarily big!

The 500-40,000?  That was the figure we were given for searches, not competition.

It is also with both "exact" and "broad" both checked.  I do find it useful to use both, but will take keywords down to 200 "exact".  It will never be great, but I'm already using keywords at less than that that do very well by using multiple keywords.

The broad setting is, to me, more of a gut feeling type of thing.  More searches than that (on "broad") nearly always means huge competition so I generally try to stay considerably lower.  Big numbers there seem to me to mean that G is having a little trouble in limiting the number of results to what is actually being written about.  You probably need a longer "tail", and the result is that your competition is actually about many topics, but that's what you're going to be fighting.

2. rfmoran profile image70
        rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It advises you to click on both broad and exact on match types. The Guidelines do not recommend the column for Competition but I couldn't figure out how it hurts. It only recommends the global monthly searches and the CPC columns be checked

5. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

The HubPages LC article that talks about shooting for 500 to 50,000 global monthly searches is titled "How to Create Search-Friendly Titles (2)". After finding a low competition title I use "Google Page Rank Checker" to rate the competition. If my title will compete against the big boys, I choose another that doesn't have such stiff competition.

1. Car CharityDonate profile image57
      Car CharityDonateposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is the Google Page Rank Checker?

1. Car CharityDonate profile image57
          Car CharityDonateposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Learning in Life! I'll go check it out!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)