jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

"We can scrape any website"

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Give us a site, we will scrape the data even if it blocks, guaranteed"

A Google ad on a hub I just saw...

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow.... @_@

2. innerspin profile image86
      innerspinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I saw one of these ads yesterday and was mystified. They seem to say whatever on-site security was used, they could scrape content. Not a happy thought, and how the heck are they advertising this?

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to know what Google is thinking as well...

1. livewithrichard profile image85
          livewithrichardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Legitimate scraping is not as nefarious as people here may think.  Of course we as content writers only hear about those thieves that steal our hubs ans republish them as their own.  Website scraping has some legitimate uses.. For example, if I wanted to start selling a product or service to people in the "Widget" industry, I would benefit from hiring an expert to scrape every business directory online for contact information of others that would have use for my "Widgets."  If I were preparing a prospectus for a company, I might hire an expert to scrape every bit of historical data on stocks in a certain industry.  If I were putting a team together to head my new "Widget" company, I might hire an expert to scrape Linkdn, Facebook, and other social networks to find me the best qualified candidates to approach.  If I were putting together an ecommerce site, I might hire an expert to scrape product data from eBay, Amazon and other large online retailers to find me the best selling products for each category.   

I'm pretty certain that the Google ads you seen are for companies that provide the above types of services...

I was sincerely hoping for some kind of explanation like that... smile smile smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
              Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ah, so this why so many DMCA take down notices are not upheld.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
                livewithrichardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A notice has no bite, especially if someone republishes stolen content on their own domain... A notice is just that, a notice.  You would actually have to file a lawsuit and take a person to court to recover any presumed damages from stolen content.  This is just not a viable option for most content creators that write for pennies... it's just not worth it.

2. SoundNFury profile image83
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

ok naive newbie here but what exactly does that mean?

To me it has always meant stealing another's content.

But I just did a search at google for "website scraping", and Google is perfectly happy plastering these ads all over the place. So, I am non-plussed at the very least...

3. A Driveby Quipper profile image60
    A Driveby Quipperposted 4 years ago

Is website scraping like a PAP smear?

working